Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Coach Excursions

Glass Half Full

Default Coach Excursions

I have been on a few, and booked on several more day trip coach excursions. These are a great cheap way to travel to towns you might not otherwise get to, with time to explore and pop in the pubs there. You obviously don't want to drink too much though if you are on a coach without loos and few if any comfort breaks on route home. Generally, the coaches arrive in a town, park up and the passengers are given the four or five hours to go where they want. Many go for the street markets or the main cathedral and museum exhibitions a city offers. I go looking at pubs (mostly taking pictures of the signs) and generally call in two or three too. The only real rule is remember where the pick up places are and be on time - some drivers will just leave without stragglers. Some trips depend on the coach getting enough bookings, and some do get cancelled with many still understandably reluctant to go out while Covid is still a potential danger. Such journeys are still are good economic way to visit new towns and see pubs you might not usually get too, with the coach operator serving as your designated driver. Towns visited to date (from Preston) include, Dumfries, Moffat, Llandudno, York, and Kendal.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    Such journeys are still are good economic way to visit new towns and see pubs you might not usually get too, with the coach operator serving as your designated driver. Towns visited to date (from Preston) include, Dumfries, Moffat, Llandudno, York, and Kendal.
    I passed through Moffat last month but didn't stop. Looks like it might be a nice town. Went to Dumfries last year, which was very pleasant too. Never been to Llandudno, but going by coach from Sheffield (if such a trip exists) would be a bit of a strain on the bladder if there's no toilet on board!
    Come On You Hatters!

Glass Half Full

Cheers Sheffield, Moffat was lovely - we had a few hours there before swinging round back to Dumfries on that trip. The places within reach for day trips will vary depending on the starting points - destinations from Sheffield are likely to vary from the Preston reach for example. They do often organize weekend breaks and longer holidays too. The companies running such trips tend to be small independent firms so there might be a few different operators in Sheffield. The main organizers I use in Preston publish detailed brochures. It lets me pick and choose carefully where to go. I generally skip the mystery tours as they could end up taking me places I've already been.