Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 10th Anniversary Pub Crawl in Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    ...a roll call of attendees...including where mentioned their estimated time of arrival...

gillhalfpint
    Gann (12.23)
    Dave M (10.56)
    Cider Drinker
    Moby Duck (11.49)
    Big Steve
    Bucking Fastard (11.25)
    Clive (11.49)
    Nige (13.25)
    Thuck Phat
    ETA
    sheffield hatter
    rpadam
    Soup Dragon (X51)
    Tris39
    an_ecumenical_matter
    Tony
    Real Ale Ray
    Mrs Ale
    Pangolin
    london calling (12.30)
    I'll be arriving at 11:54.

Disappointed to see no estimated time of arrival for ETA
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Hi,
    I am sorry but hadn't put myself down as the organiser and thought I was asked to check bus times for getting to the Barton, and that once in town we would go with the flow.

The pub list was not basically from me, it was me trying to get all the suggestions from the various posts into some sort of order. I agree that splitting between the Bull and Gunmakers, and possibly again for Post Office Vaults and Craven Arms (another that could be a wild card) may help, and the Burning Souls is down to those who want to do it. To be honest I think the White Swan in Digbeth should be on the list and maybe miss out the Jewellers Arms which is a trip out for one pub seeing as Rock and Roll not open till later.

Personally I would miss the Anchor out, fine pub but....also Old Joint Stock, maybe Craven as there are 2 Black Country Ales pubs on the list, it is down to what you want. Pubs or beer choice. You are Pubs Galore so I understand it is all about the pubs, but 20 turning up in a pub where there may be one person serving may make 2 groups more viable.

Hope this helps and I will be in the Welly early on the Friday.

Gill
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 11-10-2021 at 13:50.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Although I agree the Barton's is a magnificent pub and one I've visited a few times, and I do like Oakham ales, I'll be giving this one a miss on the day, just so I can spend some extra time supping in one of the other great Brum pubs. We're spoiled for choice
    This says a lot you know. Trying to get a pub list to make so many folk happy with the running order is hard work, and Birmingham from being a virtual dessert is now becoming a place where we do it by areas, so it is hard to get the pubs everyone wants included into a list to keep everyone happy,

Gill

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Hi,
    and maybe miss out the Jewellers Arms which is a trip out for one pub seeing as Rock and Roll not open till later.
    As a matter of interest ,is the Jewellers Arms a "must visit" pub ,I've never been ? Will the need to get there and back on public transport be rewarded ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

As a matter of interest ,is the Jewellers Arms a "must visit" pub ,I've never been ? Will the need to get there and back on public transport be rewarded ?
    It's a Black Country Ales pub. I've only been there on a Saturday after football at WBA when it was difficult to form an opinion.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Hi,
    I am sorry but hadn't put myself down as the organiser and thought I was asked to check bus times for getting to the Barton, and that once in town we would go with the flow.

The pub list was not basically from me, it was me trying to get all the suggestions from the various posts into some sort of order. I agree that splitting between the Bull and Gunmakers, and possibly again for Post Office Vaults and Craven Arms (another that could be a wild card) may help, and the Burning Souls is down to those who want to do it. To be honest I think the White Swan in Digbeth should be on the list and maybe miss out the Jewellers Arms which is a trip out for one pub seeing as Rock and Roll not open till later.

Personally I would miss the Anchor out, fine pub but....also Old Joint Stock, maybe Craven as there are 2 Black Country Ales pubs on the list, it is down to what you want. Pubs or beer choice. You are Pubs Galore so I understand it is all about the pubs, but 20 turning up in a pub where there may be one person serving may make 2 groups more viable.

Hope this helps and I will be in the Welly early on the Friday.

Gill
    Really appreciate the work you've put in, Gill.

The point you made about the bus stops for the Bull and/or Gunmakers and doing those before going on the same buses to the Bartons Arms was well made.

I've been to the Jewellers Arms but not the Craven Arms, so I know which way I'm going; others can decide for themselves. But your "a trip out for one pub" is also a good point.

I think we can pick and choose amongst the Anchor/White Swan/Spotted Dog etc. I'm keen to go to the Lamp Tavern as when I was there before (about 2005?) I was a little the worse for wear and can remember nothing of it.

Thanks for reiterating my point about 20 people all turning up at once.

See you Friday! (And Ray, of course.)
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

I think before everyone goes into top gear running off from the Wellington, maybe we should visit the POV and the Head of Steam early, as these two pubs get very busy Fri evenings, especially the POV with such limited space downstairs.

Head of Steam could be a wild card, as it's so close to the Welly...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire

Apologies if someone has already pointed it out earlier in the thread, but the 8A bus goes from just behind the Bartons direct to Jewellery Quarter station in about 10 mins.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Apologies if someone has already pointed it out earlier in the thread, but the 8A bus goes from just behind the Bartons direct to Jewellery Quarter station in about 10 mins.
    Cheers. That will work well and certainly save a lot of time.

With less than a week until the big event,I thought it might be useful to do a roll call of attendees.Looking back over this tread ,and making a few assumptions,it looks like the following have signed up (including were mentioned their estimate time of arrival)

Apologies if I have missed anyone out ,or included them by mistake.I will edit the list with any new information.

gillhalfpint
    Gann (12.23)
    Dave M (10.56)
    Cider Drinker
    Moby Duck (11.49)
    Big Steve
    Bucking Fastard (11.25)
    Clive (11.49)
    Nige (13.25)
    Thuck Phat
    ETA
    sheffield hatter (11.54)
    rpadam
    Soup Dragon (X51)
    Tris39
    an_ecumenical_matter
    Tony
    Real Ale Ray
    Mrs Ale
    Pangolin
    london calling (12.30)

Looks like a decent turnout,so following Gill's route see you at the start in the Wellington.
    AlanH hoping to come if swollen leg better.

Arrive 10.32 for 'spoons brekkie
    Depart 20.25