Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect accompaniment to a pint

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Nothing better than some nice baps
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I have never really been a fan of eating and drinking together - in fact, when enjoying the 'Spoons 'Curry Club', I will often eat the curry before touching the pint. I might have a packet of crisps in the pub on occasion if the stomach needs a bit of lining - but yet again, they'll be consumed before the pint is touched.

The only accompaniment I've ever really liked is the cigarette

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    barm cakes when I lived in Liverpool
    Usually the term in Manchester, or just 'barms'. They do free(!) chip barms at Salford's Crescent on Mon eves (17:00-18:00).

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Nothing better than some nice baps
    Agreed, but I can only handle one at a time.

For me any snacks to accompany beer have to be salty. I like scratchings but usually stick to salted nuts as they are vaguely healthy. However, my eyes still mist over when I think back to my last visit to The Shepherd's Boy, Dewsbury. It was a Sunday lunchtime and they had free platters of pork pie, scotch egg, black pudding, bread and and dripping. Guaranteed to make you thirsty!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

There is a pub I know of that on a Sunday has a dislpay of free snacks to die for. Nuts are salted,dry roast or cashews. Slices of local made pork pie ( pink meat not ghastly grey its important that ) and black pudding with chunks of fat in it. Strong Garlic Salami and Choritzo and similar sliced sausages.Pickles of all sorts and little bowls of what I call "suck it and see" .Bread, Onion,sharp Cheese, Ham, Roasted Chicken Extremities, quiche, anchovies , the oddRoll Mop Herrig and un-pitted olives of various colours. Not forgetting slices of Scotch Egg or perhaps Gala Pie. There is bound to be something I have forgotten.All the food comes from local shops known for the best quality. No Co-Op pork pie here.

Am I going to name this pub ? You have to be joking, thats my Sunday lunch on that bar. The front door is locked but you do not have to give a Masonic Hand Shake if you find the back door.A Clue..... Just look for a nicotine cloud as big as a burning tyre dump.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Slices of local made pork pie ( pink meat not ghastly grey its important that ) and black pudding with chunks of fat in it. Strong Garlic Salami and Choritzo and similar sliced sausages.Pickles of all sorts and little bowls of what I call "suck it and see" .Bread, Onion,sharp Cheese, Ham, Roasted Chicken Extremities, quiche, anchovies , the oddRoll Mop Herrig and un-pitted olives of various colours.
    Beam me up Scotty.....Once you've beaten the co-ordinates out of Arky.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

One of my local pubs - "Jaspers" - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38283/ - usualy put some snacks on the bar on a Sunday dinner.

When I was in there yesterday it was Cheese and biscuits, Pork pie, Chunks of black pudding and bowls of nuts. Very tasty !

I am a salmon !!

The Fox & Goose at Hebden Bridge use to have the sausage club on a Sunday dinner with several variety,s from the local butchers on the bar to try. Very nice. Not sure if it still does it though.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

I can't do pickled things with ale either - it makes your beer taste all vinegary. Pickled eggs or whelks in vinegar - no thanks
    Waes hael!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I would go for a pork pie, with mustard - especially at a Bathams' pub, as mentioned by Oggy and OB, however, a nice cob is also a treat - not really into crisps, nuts and hot pots
    MILD: