Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect accompaniment to a pint

Default The perfect accompaniment to a pint

Of all of the snacks available in the pub to go with your pint, what is the best one to complement a good real ale?

I've seen a few articles in the last few months extolling the virtues of a pint of Batham's Best Bitter and a bag of port scratchings. Sounds pretty good to me, even if I am tempted to scrape the fat off some of the larger ones.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...pub-foods.html

As for chocolate with beer, I don't get it, it just spoils it.

For the pork scratching fanatic, I've added this link: http://www.porkscratchingworld.com/. May I say that G Simmons off Green Lane in Walsall does bags of hard or crunchy at the factory door for £1 per lb. Bargain.
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Of all of the snacks available in the pub to go with your pint, what is the best one to complement a good real ale?

I've seen a few articles in the last few months extolling the virtues of a pint of Batham's Best Bitter and a bag of port scratchings. Sounds pretty good to me, even if I am tempted to scrape the fat off some of the larger ones.

For the pork scratching fanatic, I've added this link: http://www.porkscratchingworld.com/. May I say that G Simmons off Green Lane in Walsall does bags of hard or crunchy at the factory door for £1 per lb. Bargain.
    There's a butcher in Abergavenny who's wife is Thai. She make these giant pork scratchings with her home-made seasoning, absolutely delicious! On the sales front at the pub, pickled eggs and cheesy moments are leading the pack
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post

The (to me, somewhat dubious) delights of pork stratchings featured on this Radio 4 programme recently:

http://search.bbc.co.uk/click/p/1/ds...ratchings%252f

NB - They get to the Bathams at the Vine about 9 minutes into the programme...

Yesterday I had a pie and a pint. Delicious! Steak and kidney.

The pint was a particularly fine pint of Banks's Bitter in the White Swan, Digbeth.

I have to say I do love a bag of scratchings with a beer - especially KVE !!

My brother tends to go for a bag of dry roasted nuts.

My favourite has to be a cheese and onion cob with a bag of ready salted crisps.

Does anyone remember the cheese and cracker bar snack ? You used to get 2 crackers, a triangle of spread cheese, 2 pickled onions and a wooden lollipop stick to spread the cheese. All in a little bag - delicious !!!

Del.

I am a salmon !!

The perfect accompaniment to a pint is another pint.

I don't often go for the nibbles and find them a bit of a rip off in pubs but I am quite partial to Pork Scratchings as part of my strict calory controlled health conscious diet. I have to say that curry and ales go together superbly!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I like scratchings , though they have to be the proper tooth breakers with a bit of hair on , not those puffy crunch things some places try to pass off as scratchings .
    I am also partial to a decent hand raised pork pie with good english mustard
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Does anyone remember the cheese and cracker bar snack ? You used to get 2 crackers, a triangle of spread cheese, 2 pickled onions and a wooden lollipop stick to spread the cheese. All in a little bag - delicious !!!

Del.
    Remember them? You can still buy them around here.

They call them ploughmans lunch on the bag.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

When I ordered a pint and a bag of scratchings the other day some bloke, more than old enough to know better, asked me since when did pork sratchings and beer go together. Well how can you answer that ? I appreciate that scatchings are not to everyones taste, OK thats more for me to eat but I cannot understand this blokes ignorance of their popularity as a bar snack with beer.
    The best ones I have tasted always seem to have the name of my home town Walsall on the packet but have also had some inedible jawcrackers from there. I suppose my favourite snack depends on what I fancy at a particular moment.
    Right now I fancy nibbling on that yummy looking barmaid but I doubt she is on the menu. Oh Well ,I had better have yet another packet of calorie packed scrathings.

Too go with A decent Pint For me it would be a decent Selection of Strong Cheeses and a good Pork Pie cut into sections with a Plate of Buttered Crackers on the side.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)