Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Impact of Covid19 on Pub Numbers and Genres

Default Impact of Covid19 on Pub Numbers and Genres

I was wondering, now that Covid is rapidly becoming old news (and other tautologies and oxymorons associated with it - 'new normal', 'social distancing' etc) disappear into the dark corners of the on-line dictionary, what has been the impact on pubs?

A lot have closed during the period (not all from Covid, so it accelerated, rather than caused, the decline of some), but a lot of cafe bars, micros and former pubs have (re-)opened, so what has been the net change?

I guess it would be relatively easy to do some sums on here - how many were open on 22 Mar 2020, and how many are open today? Similarly micros, as we tag those on here. But what about the other types? Again, some are tagged with breweries or pubcos, such as 'Spoons, GK, Marstons, but many are not.

Is it worth a look?
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Is it worth a look?
    I don't know if it's a result of the plague or gentrification, but The Lord Napier & Star has reopened after being boarded up as a squat for a staggering 26 years! The pics on this site and the new website says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I guess it would be relatively easy to do some sums on here - how many were open on 22 Mar 2020, and how many are open today?
    I can fairly easily pull out some raw numbers, not sure how useful they really are though as the true number of closures is sadly I would think far higher than just those we know about.

But anyway, since 22 March 2020
    654 Added to the site
    979 Marked as open
    2795 Marked as closed

(Of the 979 marked as open in that period 424 were also ones marked as closed in the same period. The remaining 555 had been marked closed prior to 22/03/2020)

As for the pub types I don't think we can draw any useful info as I've not been able to keep it up to date in the way I'd originally hoped.

Micropubs are an interesting one though. I will see if I can extract some info on them.