Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Norwich

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I was looking at Norwich as a whole, don't like all these subdivisions, but though it is listed under Norwich, and Norwich South, it doesn't have a map 'pin' in either location.
    I am starting work on a pub crawl planning tool, using the maps to try to help with these sort of things.

Very early stages, but here is how Norwich might look https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-cra...ch-testing.php

There are some filters on the right that change the map markers to blue. The 'recommended' filter will find pubs that have had decent reviews from one or more of the site regulars.

All very much a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I am starting work on a pub crawl planning tool, using the maps to try to help with these sort of things.

Very early stages, but here is how Norwich might look https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-cra...ch-testing.php

There are some filters on the right that change the map markers to blue. The 'recommended' filter will find pubs that have had decent reviews from one or more of the site regulars.

Wow, looks really good Dave, I'm off to work in a minute so will have a play this evening.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Nice idea, Dave.

A thought: as well as a filter to highlight pubs that we might want to *include* on a crawl, would it be possible to filter out pubs that we would definitely want to swerve?
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Nice idea, Dave.

A thought: as well as a filter to highlight pubs that we might want to *include* on a crawl, would it be possible to filter out pubs that we would definitely want to swerve?
    Definitely. Not to mention filtering out those places that are not pubs- chain restaurants, cocktail/wine/tapas bars etc. - it's a real pain trying to find the gems in a big city centre because of these places clogging up the map. Wonder if there would be an easy way to filter them out.

Complaining aside- the pub crawl idea is a really good one, I have used Google maps in the past to do this manually, using this site for my research of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Definitely. Not to mention filtering out those places that are not pubs- chain restaurants, cocktail/wine/tapas bars etc. - it's a real pain trying to find the gems in a big city centre because of these places clogging up the map. Wonder if there would be an easy way to filter them out.
    Yes this is the key, trying to extract enough data to help with that sort of thing is the awkward bit. The recommended filter will currently do a decent job in a town centre that has been visited by plenty of our regulars.

Complaining aside- the pub crawl idea is a really good one, I have used Google maps in the past to do this manually, using this site for my research of course.
    Complaining is good! I have never attempted to plan a pub crawl, I don't know exactly everyone goes about it but I want to try to make it easier.

At the moment I am trying to think about how I'd use the tool, which is more likely to be finding myself in a city centre that I don't know with a couple of hours to spare and wanting to quickly identify pubs I could go to.

At the moment I am trying to think about how I'd use the tool, which is more likely to be finding myself in a city centre that I don't know with a couple of hours to spare and wanting to quickly identify pubs I could go to.

Yeah, that doesn't fit the definition of a pub crawl, which is that a) it must be planned in advance, b) there must be at least three pubs, and c) it must last longer than two hours ( ). What you're trying to do is avoid having to go window shopping and ending up with a cup of coffee you didn't really want. I can see how the map tool you are working on could help you with that too, though.
    Come On You Hatters!

Would it be a good idea to split this from the original thread, because people with no interest in Moby's visit to Norwich might be interested in this, and vice versa.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

A fine piece of work which will save me considerable effort. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Would it be a good idea to split this from the original thread, because people with no interest in Moby's visit to Norwich might be interested in this, and vice versa.
    Quite agree, as should discussions on the other mapping tools etc. Probably in the Technical area, with stickies?
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I've decided to spend two nights (best part of three days) in Norwich early next month,regardless of restrictions being lifted or not. Any must dos and hidden gems will be much appreciated.
    Well I'm back from a very enjoyable and pretty succesful trip to Norwich. Have planned my ports of call based on Daves very useful map , using the recomended filter, I had targeted some 25 + pubs , of those original choices I managed 15 visits plus another 3 pubs not on my original list. The reasons some were not ticked varied between some being closed, a couple just physically too busy and some I just timed out on with various current odd opening and closing hours. Of those visited the standard was very high in both pubs and beer , so I found it too difficult to just flit in and out of a pub Winfield style. Of those on the maps recommended
    filter only a couple failed to impress, the general standard was very high. I would put Norwich Strongly forward for a future return PUG crawl once things return back to normal.
    -W.C.Fields

This proved to be very useful, thanks Dave.
    -W.C.Fields