Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norwich

Default Norwich

I've decided to spend two nights (best part of three days) in Norwich early next month,regardless of restrictions being lifted or not. Any must dos and hidden gems will be much appreciated.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I've decided to spend two nights (best part of three days) in Norwich early next month,regardless of restrictions being lifted or not. Any must dos and hidden gems will be much appreciated.
    Well, my best memory of my visit to Norwich three years ago was The Woolpack Yard, but it seems to have closed, so that's my reputation as an influencer gone for a Burton. The one I didn't much like was The Plasterers Arms, from which you may conclude that a) it is now the most successful pub in Norwich, and b) you'll really, really like it.

One that will definitely still be open (where's that fervent prayer emoji: , yes, that one) is the Kings Head, and also worth a try but a bit further out is The Duke of Wellington. On the opposite side of town is The Jubilee. Close to the station is the Coach & Horses.

I haven't reviewed The White Lion, but I had a very enjoyable pint there in 2013, when Luton Town beat Norwich City. More to the point, Real Ale Ray gave it a "defo" when he was there. Hope it's still as good.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations for a few more. Hope you have a great visit.
    Come On You Hatters!

Norrrich has been on my re-visit list for a long time.

I went in 2009; so long ago as to be fairly useless for a recommendation. But I understand that the Fat Cat is still a destination pub -I said at the time that you weren't a "proper drinker" if you hadn't visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Norrrich has been on my re-visit list for a long time.

I went in 2009; so long ago as to be fairly useless for a recommendation. But I understand that the Fat Cat is still a destination pub -I said at the time that you weren't a "proper drinker" if you hadn't visited.
    I shall have to go there then.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Never been but Camra rates these ones
    leopard
    st Andrews brew house
    jubilee
    coach and horses
    fat cat brewery tap
    red lion
    fatcat and canary
    murderers
    artichoke
    duke of wellington
    wig and pen
    fat cat pub
    kings head
    Alexandra tavern

This Space For Hire

ratebeer recommend some of but also these
    brewdog
    roseberry
    plasterers
    Camra,s best pub is the Hop In in north walsham but presume that's out of Norwich
    Norwich,s first micro called the Malt and Mardle should open on the 21stjune.
    no recommendations but im sure you will find some good uns
    cheers john

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Like Quinno, a return visit for me is well overdue to this excellent beer city - so many good pubs. I don't have access to details of previous trips but really liked the Fat Cat & Canary, Kings Arms (Hall Rd, strangely without a map-pointer here), Fat Cat (obvs), but did not like the pub with two names ('Murderers'?) which would not be on my list for a re-visit.
    Norwich also usually has decent travel prices available from London, and I notice some £10ew offerings in July.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it, some good looking pubs mentioned, the nearest to my hotel being The Coach & Horses mentioned by Will, so thats looking like a decent start while waiting for check in.
    Jim, I managed to get train tickets at £13.30 each way from Hook, so pretty good I think, the prospect of likely still having to wear a mask on the journey, not so.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    ... really liked the Kings Arms (Hall Rd, strangely without a map-pointer here)
    It's map point is in Norwich South and Lakenham, so if you were looking in Norwich Central you won't have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    ...but did not like the pub with two names ('Murderers'?) which would not be on my list for a re-visit.
    Tend to agree - this is a pub for regular tourists rather than beer tourists.
    Come On You Hatters!

I managed to get train tickets at £13.30 each way from Hook, so pretty good I think...
    That's a pretty good ticket! Norwich should be an easy one from Sheffield, as the Liverpool to Norwich service, run by East Midlands, goes straight there (except for detaching half the coaches at Nottingham), but it always seems to be expensive. So I usually end up going via Doncaster and Peterborough, which can be quicker, too.

...the prospect of likely still having to wear a mask on the journey, not so.
    I know - it makes my glasses steam up, so reading my paper or my phone is a nightmare, and there's only so much staring out of the window I can take before I start climbing the walls.
    Come On You Hatters!