Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Pub Of The Month - May 2021

  1. #1
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    5,409

    Default Pub Of The Month - May 2021

    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  2. #2
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out saving pubs and enjoying it.
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    This month has to go to The Southampton Arms, great ambiance , a good range of well kept cask beer (8) and a cracking (including crackling) hot Pork and Apple sauce Roll.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #3
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Macclesfield Canal
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    The Organ Grinder

    Managed to visit both the Loughborough and Nottingham branches during May ,the Nottingham one gets the nod because we could sit inside,there was stronger ale available and like in Loughboro. the staff are charming and other punters friendly.A top boozer.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    This month has to go to The Southampton Arms, great ambiance , a good range of well kept cask beer (8) and a cracking (including crackling) hot Pork and Apple sauce Roll.
    Yes. One of the best pubs I've walked past around once a week for the last 14 months. And the pork baps are good!

  5. #5
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Three pubs this year and all new.

    Best pint - Hackney Tap
    Best overall pub - Dove Free House
    Last edited by Tris39; 31-05-2021 at 17:41.

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    What with one thing and another,not necessarily COVID related, we haven't really got back to pub going.Also,it's too easy to order cans online. Since the first reopening, I've made 7 visits to 2 pubs. Interestingly, the strike rate for new to me beers has been encouraging, as has cask beer quality on the whole. My pub of the month:Larkins' Alehouse
    Last edited by Wittenden; 01-06-2021 at 13:37.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  7. #7
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,091
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  8. #8
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    As you know, we are blessed with many very good pubs in Sheffield, and among those I have been drinking in since 17 May are The Blake Hotel, The Wellington, The Crow Inn, The Fat Cat and the Sheffield Tap; throw in the Cutlers Arms in Rotherham and they would account for 14 pub visits out of 19 from 17th to 29th (I gave the pubs a miss Sunday and Monday as I thought the weather might fuel some bad behaviour and wanted to stay clear).

    Taking into account beer quality, service, Covid safety and atmosphere I would happily give any of these a 9 or a 10, but for overall excellence I make the Blake Hotel my pub of the month. Since reopening inside, every visit has found not just five beers on the bar in tremendous condition, but there have also been at least two and more often three of those that I either knew already that I liked them or was interested in trying them out - and I don't mean just a half! Those days are gone.
    Come On You Hatters!

  9. #9
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out saving pubs and enjoying it.
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    As you know, we are blessed with many very good pubs in Sheffield, and among those I have been drinking in since 17 May are The Blake Hotel, The Wellington, The Crow Inn, The Fat Cat and the Sheffield Tap; throw in the Cutlers Arms in Rotherham and they would account for 14 pub visits out of 19 from 17th to 29th (I gave the pubs a miss Sunday and Monday as I thought the weather might fuel some bad behaviour and wanted to stay clear).

    Taking into account beer quality, service, Covid safety and atmosphere I would happily give any of these a 9 or a 10, but for overall excellence I make the Blake Hotel my pub of the month. Since reopening inside, every visit has found not just five beers on the bar in tremendous condition, but there have also been at least two and more often three of those that I either knew already that I liked them or was interested in trying them out - and I don't mean just a half! Those days are gone.
    Desperate to get myself up there to check things out, I have a week off in early July, I can find accommodation at a fair price , travel less so ( haven't explored all options yet) a train ticket up is £ 24 something or other, no problem, getting back a couple of days later, comes up (at the moment ) at the 70 quid mark, more of a problem especially as I believe British rail is not so keen on a refund policy should covid kick off again, the hotel I can cancel 3 days before depature, think I may wait till the autumn and see how the land lies.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  10. #10
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Desperate to get myself up there to check things out, I have a week off in early July, I can find accommodation at a fair price , travel less so ( haven't explored all options yet) a train ticket up is £ 24 something or other, no problem, getting back a couple of days later, comes up (at the moment ) at the 70 quid mark, more of a problem especially as I believe British rail is not so keen on a refund policy should covid kick off again, the hotel I can cancel 3 days before depature, think I may wait till the autumn and see how the land lies.
    That's a huge differential! Is it to do with days of the week?

    Have you looked at different routes? Or splitting at unexpected places? Sometimes there are cheaper fares between Burton on Trent and Banbury; you can use the Derbyshire Wayfarer concession £6.70 to get to the former (you can buy it at Sheffield station), and I don't need to tell you how to get home from the latter!
    Come On You Hatters!

Similar Threads

  1. New pub visits 2021
    By Delboy20 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 19-10-2021, 19:40
  2. Beer of the Week (w/e 9th May 2021)
    By ROBCamra in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2021, 18:03
  3. Beer of the Week (w/e 9th May 2021)
    By ROBCamra in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2021, 18:03
  4. Pub (Garden) Of The Month - April 2021
    By ROBCamra in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-05-2021, 12:55
  5. Pub (Garden) Of The Month - April 2021
    By ROBCamra in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-05-2021, 12:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •