Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Berwick upon Tweed and Darlington.

Hybrid View

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default Berwick upon Tweed and Darlington.

Some of you have met my mate Nige,he would like to know which are the very best real ale outlets in these two towns .I'm no help as I have never visited either.His only focus is quality real ale ,and doesn't care how shabby the pub or customer base maybe.He is on golf tour later in May with some thirsty punters (not me,I can't stand the game)and would appeciate advice on the absolutely must visit ale houses.He isn't a Pubsgalore contributor but I know he would value your help.

Thanks in advance,

BF
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Some of you have met my mate Nige,he would like to know which are the very best real ale outlets in these two towns .I'm no help as I have never visited either.His only focus is quality real ale ,and doesn't care how shabby the pub or customer base maybe.He is on golf tour later in May with some thirsty punters (not me,I can't stand the game)and would appeciate advice on the absolutely must visit ale houses.He isn't a Pubsgalore contributor but I know he would value your help.

Thanks in advance,

BF
    I liked the Orb, the Quaker House and the Pennyweight when I visited a couple of years back.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

The Curfew micro and The Barrels in Berwick are must visits. In Darlington, I'd recommend the Orb micro, Number Twenty Two and Quakerhouse
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    The Curfew micro and The Barrels in Berwick are must visits.

Can't argue with those! Also on the same street is Atelier, a craft beer cafe bar, which usually has a couple of hand pumps on the go. Watch out - it's a 10pm closer! (And the Curfew closes even earlier in the week, and 10pm at weekends too. The Barrels is a late one, as if to compensate.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Thanks very much to everyone who has contributed to this thread with some great suggestions ,which will be passed along.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

Thanks in advance,

BF
    No idea about Berwick but my wife's cousin lives in "Darlo" and there are a few decent pubs, I particularly like the Britannia and the nearby Half Moon both traditional pubs, Number 22 is also worth a visit. The Quakerhouse is very much a CAMRA pub, the Orb and House of Hop are modern type bars but fine, the Orb is more of a micro. I haven't been in the Pennyweight since my 2009 visit, the review explains all but perhaps it's improved. Darlo is also home to "John Smith's Golden Cock" although I think the name of the owner of the shining member has sadly gone now from the signage.