Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Country

Default Black Country

Starting to plan a few days out for when life gets back to normal. Me and the boy Jimbo had a notion of doing a Black Country extravaganza last year which the bug put a stop to.

Got some of the usual suspects and a couple off my to-do longlist;

Great Western Wolverhampton (to start from the train!)
    Old Swan (Ma Pardoes) Netherton
    Vine (Bull & Bladder) Brierley Hill
    Beacon Hotel Sedgley
    Fountain Inn Tipton
    Park Inn Woodsetton
    Jolly Crispin Upper Gornal
    Old Bulls Head Lower Gornal
    Waterfall Cradley Heath
    Lamp Tavern Dudley

Any other suggestions?

That looks like a great itinerary - I'll chuck The Shovel Inn into the mix as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Starting to plan a few days out for when life gets back to normal. Me and the boy Jimbo had a notion of doing a Black Country extravaganza last year which the bug put a stop to.

Beacon Hotel Sedgley
    Fountain Inn Tipton
    Park Inn Woodsetton
    Waterfall Cradley Heath
    Lamp Tavern Dudley

Any other suggestions?
    Well if you're in the Jolly Crispin it'd be rude not to pop over the road to Britannia Inn, and of course there's The Fountain across from the Old Bulls Head. In Lye there's also Windsor Castle. It all looks very reminiscent of the Black Country crawl we did a few years back when everyone OD'd on scratchings

Beacon Hotel Sedgley
    Fountain Inn Tipton
    Park Inn Woodsetton
    Waterfall Cradley Heath
    Lamp Tavern Dudley

Any other suggestions?
    That's a pretty good list to be fair - you will be catching a lot of buses to get round that lot, they cover a pretty big area.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    That looks like a great itinerary - I'll chuck The Shovel Inn into the mix as well.
    The Shovel is a great pub and can be paired with the Windsor Castle but be aware it doesn't open till 5 or 6 midweek.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    That's a pretty good list to be fair - you will be catching a lot of buses to get round that lot, they cover a pretty big area.
    Yes, we were invited to join a coach party when we did this about 10 years ago. I don't know if Quinno has similar plans this time around?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yes, we were invited to join a coach party when we did this about 10 years ago. I don't know if Quinno has similar plans this time around?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Yeah it'll be a laid back long weekender. Buses and taxis!

Think we're aiming for December so we can (hopefully) get the Sarah Hughes and Bathams winter beers.

Planning a prior trip for Burnley-Blackburn-Accrington as our first beano when everything is back to normal.

This Space For Hire

Yeah it'll be a laid back long weekender. Buses and taxis!

Think we're aiming for December so we can (hopefully) get the Sarah Hughes and Bathams winter beers.

Planning a prior trip for Burnley-Blackburn-Accrington as our first beano when everything is back to normal.
    I'd like to be able to recommend a few in Lancashire from my time in Preston but there's only Blackburn's Drummers Arms I can think of.

If you fancy a random excursion from Blackburn the single line to request stop Entwistle takes you the Strawbury Duck...

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I'd like to be able to recommend a few in Lancashire from my time in Preston but there's only Blackburn's Drummers Arms I can think of.

If you fancy a random excursion from Blackburn the single line to request stop Entwistle takes you the Strawbury Duck...
    Perhaps a new thread for this one?

Between Blackburn and Accrington is The Victoria, as I'm sure Quinno is aware.

My experiences of drinking in Accrington are somewhat overshadowed by the lack of protection from the torrential rain on the exposed away terrace at the football ground (not sour grapes, as we won 3-0 and 2-0 last times we played there - it really did rain). Grants Bar was OK, with an on-site brewery; nearby The Arden Inn and The Abbey worth a visit if already in the area but hardly justify going out of your way. Maybe there are better options in Accy since Luton Town got promoted to the Championship?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Perhaps a new thread for this one?

Between Blackburn and Accrington is The Victoria, as I'm sure Quinno is aware.

My experiences of drinking in Accrington are somewhat overshadowed by the lack of protection from the torrential rain on the exposed away terrace at the football ground (not sour grapes, as we won 3-0 and 2-0 last times we played there - it really did rain). Grants Bar was OK, with an on-site brewery; nearby The Arden Inn and The Abbey worth a visit if already in the area but hardly justify going out of your way. Maybe there are better options in Accy since Luton Town got promoted to the Championship?
    Thanks for those. The Victoria was not on my list at all - but now is!! An immediate must-visit, rare 10's and 9's so salivating already.

There's two main ways to get up to the M65 from Reading on the train; via Manchester or Preston. I'm already up to 50 pubs longlisted, think I might need to split this into two separate trips. Mind you, I think we had Preston down as the next PuG crawl?