Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 9th May 2021)

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 9th May 2021)

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

More top notch pub visits:

Cask:
    Everards Tiger*
    Everards Old Original*
    Blue Monkey Infinity*
    Oakham Bishops Farewell*

Cans:
    Marble Lagonda
    Marble Cross Collar
    Marble Rapid Vienna IPA
    Northern Monk New World IPA
    Vibrant Forest Altitudes
    Vocation Life and Death

Bottles:
    Oakham Green Devil IPA
    Blue Monkey Ape Ale
    Blue Monkey Raspberry Baboonska

Running down the stock of cans and a visit to the Organ Grinder in Loughborough provided the excellent Blue Monkey bottles.
    BOTW has to be cask though and Blue Monkey Infinity takes it this week. In tip top condition it slipped down very well on a chilly evening.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Similar list

Vibrant forest -- Altitudes * (can)
    Vocation -- Life & Death * (can)
    Everards -- Tiger * (3PT)
    Everards -- Old Original *
    Oakham -- Green Devil IPA * (bottle)
    Blue Monkey -- Infinity * (>3PT)
    Blue Monkey -- Ape Ale * (bottle)
    Blue Monkey -- Raspberry Baboonska * (bottle)
    BewDog -- Elvis Juice * (can)

It's not often every beer sampled get a * but this was a great week.I have to agree that BOTW was Blue Monkey Infinity,NBSS 5 in The Organ Grinder tucked into a corner of the pub garden under an umbrella tryng to escape the squalls and a bitter northerly.

Next week far more subdued in the run up to May 17th.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Another good week for drinking in pub gardens, or car parks, or just a pavement with traffic roaring past: who cares? So long as it's real ale.

Tuesday saw a mammoth session at the Fat Cat. Initial disappointment because there was NO KELHAM BEST BITTER was soon replaced by appreciation of Oakham Bishops Farewell 4.6%, though it's by no means a favourite. After three I was ready for something a bit different, so tried Roosters London Thunder Porter 4.2%. And then, just as I was about to call it a day, we were informed that the Kelham Island Best 3.8% was back on, so it would have been rude not to. Very good it was too.

Wednesday I made my way to the Sheffield Tap, as I had seen from their Facebook page that Tapped Ale 3.5% was on at last. What a super beer this is; not as malty as the Kelham Island, but just as bitter. I was going to have two but ended up with three without really noticing.

Friday I walked up to the Blake Hotel and tried their Neepsend Lerna 4.5%, a pale ale that was pretty good but perhaps a little perfumed for my taste. My third pint was a little less flavoursome, but I'm not sure if this was due to numbness, or reaching the end of the barrel, or the waiter brought me a Neepsend Blonde by mistake.

Sunday I was back at the Blake, but I didn't fancy either of the alternatives to Neepsend Blonde 4.0% (one was the same brewery's Waimea which I had at the Wellington the previous week and didn't fancy again, and the other some sort of citra/lager crossover, which I definitely wasn't in the mood for), so had a pint of that before moving on. (Still not sure if that's what I was served in error on the Friday. Probably not.)

The back yard at the Blind Monkey has piped music and TV screens showing sports, and the beers were Atomic Blonde 4.3%, Don Valley Go Your Own Way 3.8% (an IPA) and the same brewery's Gongoozler 4.5%, a stout. I went for the stout, but it wasn't in very good nick, although there was nothing identifiably wrong with it; just a bit uninspiring. So I walked on a bit further to the Raven Inn on Palm Street where I knew I'd be able to drink their very good traditional English bitter, Loxley Halliday 4.0% . This is almost like a Kentish beer rather than one you'd associate with Yorkshire, and good enough to have an unplanned second pint.

Some very good beers, with Halliday and Kelham Best fighting it out for the silver medal behind the superb Tapped Ale, my Beer of the Week.
    Come On You Hatters!

Kent:

My third garden visit delivered Canterbury Ales Oatmeal Pale (4.5% abv), a smashing oily oaty pale. I'm all in favour of oats in the mash-Angels and Demons' Goldilocks is Dead being a case in point. Some decent cans from Good Things-Enki DDH pale, and Xylem 6% IPA.
    Oatmeal pale : my beer of the week.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Still on the cans and bottles, but as I've now had both jabs and approaching full immunity, I hope to be out and about a bit more in the coming weeks.

Salt - Citra NEIPA Jr. (c)
    Arbor - C Bomb. (c)
    Siren - Silver Straw. (c)
    Allendale - Wanderlust. (c)
    Siren - Soundwave IPA. (c)
    Thornbridge - Jamestown. (c)
    Black Sheep - Milk Stout. (c)
    Northern Monk - Faith. (c) (c)
    Hiver - Session IPA. (c)
    Thornbridge - Bliss Point. (c)
    BrewDog - Hazy Jane. (c)

Hazy pale ale has definitely been my lockdown beer style and there are loads out there. However, the two I seem to keep coming back to are Faith and Hazy Jane.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

All cask last week.

Wantsum Black Pig Porter
    Wantsum Huell Melon
    Ascot Starting Gate
    Ascot Grumpy Landlord
    Oakham Citra
    Three Castles Very Berry
    Front Row Naughty Hooker
    Banks & Taylor Plum Mild
    Hiltop Blonde
    Abbeydale Deception
    Burning Sky Plateau
    Mallinsons Jester
    Milestone Shine On

The two that stood out were Front Row Naughty Hooker, in The Alfred and Abbeydale Deception in The Wonston which just pips the former.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields