Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 25th April 2021)

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 25th April 2021)

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Plenty of variety this week with more quality pub visits:

Cask:
    Marstons Pedigree
    Oakham Bishops Farewell*
    Grainstore 1050*
    Langton Inclined Plane
    Braybrooke Keller Lager*
    Brew York Goose Willis
    Nene Valley Brewery Egyptian Cream*
    TT Landlord*

Cans:
    Oakham Citra T90
    Marble Cross Collar
    Marble Rapid Vienna IPA
    Marble Berimbolo
    Marble Silly Point

Mini kegs:
    Marble/Redwillow Marbleless
    Marble Earl Grey IPA

All the cans and mini kegs were good as ever but there's nothing like cask.
    Unusually, BOTW goes to a lager - Braybrooke Keller Lager. Brewed in Northamptonshire using Franconian malt and hops and neither filtered nor pasteurised apparently. Bears no resemblance to mass produced lager and is properly tasty and moreish.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Welford and Market Harborough with a similar list as above.

BrewDog -- Punk IPA (can)
    Thornbridge -- Jaipur IPA *(can)
    Marble -- Berimbolo * (can)
    Marble/North Riding -- Silly Point Cross Country IPA *(can)
    Oakham -- Bishops Farewell *
    Abbeydale -- Absolution
    Grainstote -- Ten Fifty *(3PT)
    Langton -- Inclined Plane
    Oakham -- Citra
    Braybrook -- Keller Lager *(keg)
    Brew York -- Goose Willis *
    Nene Valley -- Egyptian Cream Stout *
    BrewDog --Elvis Juice *(can)

BOTW goes to Grainstore Ten Fifty,a faithful reproduction of the Ruddles County classic of the mid 70's,on very fine form from stillage in the garden of The Wharf inn.

Next week end month sessions in Hertford and London,still wrapping up well in some open space.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Cask
    Flowerpots Perridge Pale
    Flowerpots Spring Loaded
    Wantsum Black Prince
    Ascot Gold Cup
    Beartown Skinfull
    Roosters Yankee
    Three Blind Mice Lonely Snake Mosaic & Simcoe Edition
    North Riding Cascade Pale
    Elusive Charge
    Binghams Chocolate Porter

Keg
    Wantsum Citra Ass Down
    Orbit Rhubarb Sour

Cans
    Siren The Grateful 8

Drinking at home has now become a minimal habit, the opposite of a couple of weeks ago.

BOTW for the second week running comes from The Wonston Arms, Flowerpots Spring Loaded, a first time beer for me and right up my street, grapefruity with a touch of( I thought anyway) elderflower in the mix, very nice. Flowerpots Spring Loaded.jpg
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A first visit since lockdown to the Cutlers Arms in Rotherham last week; unfortunately they had sold out of my favourite Chantry beer: Iron & Steel 4.0%, so I went for New York Pale 3.9% (with a lemony flavour), Steelos 4.1% (a blonde) and the very good porter, Diamond Black 4.5%, which passed the three pint test with flying colours.

I had my first visit to Sheffield's Closed Shop the next day, which was mostly disappointing - not helped by plastic glasses. Stancill beers in my pre-lockdown experience can be very good (at the Old Grindstone in particular - which won't reopen until May, and will be stocking True North beers rather than Stancill, I have been told), but the Closed Shop has a bit of a reputation for having more beers on than is good for their condition. Stancill No.7 4.3% was a little cloudy and dull (a little like the weather) - possibly towards the bottom of the barrel. Next was Paisley Porter 4.0%, confusingly subtitled Autumn Porter. A bit too chocolatey for my taste - their previous porter was much more easy drinking. I then went for Barnsley Bitter 3.8% which I normally swerve and I soon wished that I had on this occasion too, as it tasted like they had forgotten to add any hops. And the malt was undercooked, with a smell and taste reminding me of my home brew days - just like a tin of malt before boiling. Yuck.

A quick visit to the covered tables outside Dorothy Pax in the canal basin on Thursday - there was a wind off the water which, combined with some pretty awful music from some loudspeakers outside the premises soon drove me away. A pity, because the Blue Bee Triple Hop 4.3% was pretty good. I went to the Sheffield Tap for some more of their own Tapped Mojo 3.6%. The next day was my first visit to the Kelham Island Tavern and another Blue Bee, this one called Motueka 4.3% which was in good condition but not to my taste, so I went around the corner to the Fat Cat for some Kelham Island Best Bitter 3.8%.

At the weekend both the Wellington and Blake Hotel opened their beer gardens (for three days a week), despite having previously said they would wait until May. I called in on Sunday at 12 noon - the Wellington had only three cask ales on and another ran off while I was drinking my Neepsend Hansl 6.0%, a Vienna IPA (whatever that is) - which was pretty good but too strong for so early in the day. I walked up to the Blake where there were also three beers on, including the superb Neepsend Sirine 4.3%, a hoppy and well balanced pale ale, which was so good I had three pints and make it my Beer of the Week.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

North riding -citra good brewer
    fierce and noble -cast iron stout
    vale -kitten kong a malty but nice beer
    binghams -vanilla stout poor condition
    darkstar - hophead dull news from camra brewery liaison officer is all hophead is now brewed at partridge green
    burning sky - plateau never took to this beer but it was okay
    botw
    was brewdog -half and half