Visit Wee Beefy's Pub Blog site

Afternoon!
on Thursday I visited a public house, as you used to describe them in the 1930's. It was the first time that I had seen a beer menu for such an operation, since back in October 2020. I walked into town, principally to see the sun setting since I wasn't booked in until 20:00, and having allowed quite a while to arrive I was there by 19.55 and waited to find out if my table was ready. I was quite warm after the walk, but as Charlie advised, that wouldn't be an issue once I was sat outside in the cold......
I started on a pint of Abbeydale Heathen APA on cask from the past - goodness - it's like it's.......2020 all over again! Luckily the Heathen was on good form and only lasted me about 10 or 15 minutes so I quickly ordered and more slowly supped another pint. I had a quick chat with Mr Cullen and found that one of his chums was supping a fabulous can of the St Mars of the Desert Barley wine at 9%. I assured him that he would like it - I know I certainly did.
I was supposed to be meeting up with a chum but after a few texts , and having now moved onto a 6% Full Circle IPA on Keg from the future, I discovered that they were sadly unable to join me. By this time, having moved under one of the heaters and added two further layers, I was finished with the IPA and thought about getting a canned beer from their excellent selection. Luckily they had a can of DEYA Saturated in Citra available so I decided to grab a can of that, and as I was starting that, now aware of the quality of the heated lights above me a bit more, I was joined under the cover by a group of chaps from fine, sunny, Sheffield.
One of them was called Alan, or indeed, one of thousands of other human male names. Likewise, the latter applies to the others, who all sported pronounceable noises with which to identify them. They had been sat out in the cold when I had arrived and one of them was wearing shorts like some kind of madman. They were at the same time attempting to find one of their group whom it transpired had left a near full pint having said he was going to the loo. A number of texts confirmed he had in fact gone home! What a terrible waste of lovely beer...
I chatted to this group for a good while but finding out it was nearly 22:50 I decided to head home myself, and I got to Waingate a couple of minutes before the 52A none Stenchcrotch peasant waggon arrived - weirdly carrying no bottom deck passengers but 4 members of staff....
I have to say that despite gaining a minor blister on my left foot (I took the extra insoles out of my boots when my feet swelled up earlier in the year and had forgotten to replace them - and the current insoles are a trifle damaged...), I have to say that I really enjoyed my visit - and once I finish my current batch of antibiotics I am returning to join Mr RJW and chums sat hopefully right at the back of the covers surrounded by warm humans!
Cheers!
Wee Beefy

More...