Visit Wee Beefy's Pub Blog site

Hello folks,
now am well aware that some recent posts may worry the less open minded of you that all I drink is marmite and blood orange land bier, and equally, that you may, all you caring bunch, worry that all I drink is beers above 6% - my usual starting strength. Well in truth as I worry I may have said about 50 times, whilst at home at least less so, but I always like to start on a pint of "cask from the past". Its like the 1860s , when we hde yet to learn that diseases such as cholera were transmitted by mucky water. And therefore we should all the same only drink clear cask ale.....
So to undermine that outlook I wanted to describe a beer from Whiplash brewery, whom I understand are based in Dublin. The chaps at Bar Stewards have been getting Whiplash beers in quite a lot this year and thus far have tried about 6 of their brews. I have enjoyed every one. Unsurprisingly this brew contains oats . When I was a youngster, about 7 years ago, the very suggestion of the inclusion of "modern muck" like oats and wheat malt in the mash, would have instantly made me suspicious and dismissive. But I now realise that in its right place most adjuncts have the potential and in this case the ability, to help dispense tasty beers. Am certain that Arpus from .....um...somewhere Eastern European, (Latvia?) contain the same. And I love their beers. This one is once again extremely easy drinking.
I have always loved Simcoe hops - am not 100% sure how long they have been around, nor indeed where they might be produced in, but have always loved them along with US cascade and Citra and Columbus and similar. And as you know, I do like an easy drinking beer.
The aroma of Drone Logic is in this case quite yeasty - but that is likely down to my always washing out cans to get the chunks of non dissolved yeast elements and other physical additions mixed into my cloudy beer. The taste is actually quite honest in terms of the yeast - and the Simcoe still provides a delicious background, probably less hoppy in terms of bite due to the collaboration of both oats and wheat.
So far have more or less finished the beer in an hour - but that is related to the amount of time it takes to log onto here!
I realise that the addition of wheat and oats no doubt is repsonsible for its easy drinkingness but its still incredibly quaffable. I also realise that I have said before that ideally I should want beers to taste of cement or unset concrete, and sadly in the last 30 years a few probably have, but this collage of features is extremely enjoyable. Who wouldn't crave the mix of suppability and hoppy delights? Well, in the absence of any actual answer, the short answer of course is myself. Cracking brew!
Last info is to confirm that tomorrow, which is a day, I will be supping in the niddering cold of the outside of Bar Stewards in the evening! I was very lucky to get a table full stop if am honest. I admit that I probably told a lot of regular drinkers that I wanted initially to avoid my favourite pubs but this is the fourth consecutive day (tomorrow) that many will have been available to us folks.
In the meantime, I may see some of you there , and if so or if not, I wish you the very best of health.
Cheers!
Wee Beefy

More...