Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Micropubs map development

Default Micropubs map development

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    One minor suggestion: greater colour differentiation between 'visited' and 'two or more' on the map would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    That is a very good point. I'd like to make much more use of maps and I think I'm going to have to come up with far better ways of differentiating markers, as in shapes/designs rather than just colours. I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Here's a toughie: can you make a different shape for the marker if the pub's location is "best guess"? This would a) prompt some checking before setting out, and b) avoid frustration when arriving at location and finding no pub. Just a thought.

Dave - don't know if you saw my final suggestion on the Micropubs thread, so I've copied it across to the Requests thread.
    Come On You Hatters!

Thanks, did see the suggestion and have been looking into it.

Trying to work out what can be done with mapping in general. I'd like to make some sort of all-purpose map that can be used for helping to start narrowing down targets for a crawl (that way users wont be obstructed by artificial geographic boundaries created by place names). Any idea of what would make a useful map would be most welcome.

Phew!

Well, when doing a crawl there are so many things to take into account. Firstly, I would go through the area and eliminate those pubs (sports bars, night clubs, borderline restaurants and cafes) that we definitely won't want to do. So maybe right-clicking on the map symbol so that it either disappears or greys out?

Second, easy way of clicking through to the pub page for reviews, WhatPub, Facebook, etc and then back to the map at the same pub. Pubs that have not had their map point corrected should flash or turn red!

Third, identify pubs as mainstream or wildcard. Again, a right click to change shape or colour of map symbol (with scope to change your mind in light of new evidence/preferences/too many wild cards).

Four, plot a route round the mainstream pubs with walking distances and times. Ideally with user to identify the start and finish points and the widget to do all the hard work. (Bus routes can be difficult, but ideally those too.) Oh yes, and access to/from start and finish points from nearest railway station.

Five, identify one or two wild card options for each pub, with walking times off the main route from the last pub and back to the main route at the next mainstream pub.

Six, buy me a pint because it's been bloody hard work but it was worth it.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Just the rest of T's to do to correct best guess v's exact which should remove location ambiguity of where a micropub is.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Just the rest of T's to do to correct best guess v's exact which should remove location ambiguity of where a micropub is.
    Every pub on the micro list now has a corrected map point.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Every pub on the micro list now has a corrected map point.
    Great work - many thanks!