Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does a beer in a beer garden count as a new pub tick?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Only if it's through a dirty window.
    In the rain!

This Space For Hire

I will have to remove about 900 pubs from my list then.I always enter the pub ,buy a drink then move outside to drink it. I tried 6 new pubs in Dundee in the autumn last year but have not put them onsite as I had to sit outside in 5 of them to be served but I was able to use the toilets and have a wander round them to review. Don't think I can give a detailed review of the interior but I am sure my sparse review including the beers would give you an idea whether you would want to use it.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I will have to remove about 900 pubs from my list then.I always enter the pub ,buy a drink then move outside to drink it. I tried 6 new pubs in Dundee in the autumn last year but have not put them onsite as I had to sit outside in 5 of them to be served but I was able to use the toilets and have a wander round them to review. Don't think I can give a detailed review of the interior but I am sure my sparse review including the beers would give you an idea whether you would want to use it.
    I agree with this view,even a sparse review can provide useful information,especially if the pub in question is unreviewed.There are also many pubs where the reviews are quite historic and a brief description of a current pub garden experience can add some useful colour.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I will have to remove about 900 pubs from my list then.
    Whether you "tick" a pub or not is entirely up to you. It's not a competition and there are no rules.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I agree with this view,even a sparse review can provide useful information,especially if the pub in question is unreviewed.There are also many pubs where the reviews are quite historic and a brief description of a current pub garden experience can add some useful colour.
    Writing a review and ticking the pub are not necessarily the same thing, but that aside I tend to agree with you.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

If I have bought an alcoholic drink and consumed it on the premises, whether inside or outside, I think I’m entitled to class it as a tick. But I usually refrain from giving it a rating unless I have at least spent a few minutes inside. Can’t see myself visiting anywhere new in the next month in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Whether you "tick" a pub or not is entirely up to you. It's not a competition and there are no rules.
    Quite right. In the old days on a nice day visiting a pub with a garden I would have a good look around the inside before retiring to the garden, so would result in a fairly full review. But if I visit a pub and only use the garden I would say something about the garden, as well as the beer selection, quality and price. Not such a full review, but it shows up on my PuG stats so I guess is a "tick".

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I agree as I said at the top of the thread, everyone has their own rules.

I shall be visiting The Healey on Tuesday.

It's a place we go regularly, but I haven't actually reviewed it since 2014.

We go to meet up with Simon, the landlord, ex of The Baum, rather than the Robbie's beers.

He has a new marquee over the boules piste at the moment, so I'll review that, as we've never sat there before and give the random pub on the front page another option.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

....I always enter the pub ,buy a drink then move outside to drink it. I tried 6 new pubs in Dundee in the autumn last year but have not put them onsite as I had to sit outside in 5 of them to be served but I was able to use the toilets and have a wander round them to review. Don't think I can give a detailed review of the interior but I am sure my sparse review including the beers would give you an idea whether you would want to use it.

I'm with you here, it's about providing information, which may be useful even if a bit thin, not ticking our own lists. If the pub has no review it's good to get a feel for what it offers, and where the review is somewhat dated, even a brief update shows how things are progressing. Things like beer quality, type of food, attitude are all still valid.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I agree. Even a cursory review is useful, especially when a pub has been developed beyond recognition since the previous review.