Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does a beer in a beer garden count as a new pub tick?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    This is alleged to be where Boris got a tick today for drinking in a pub garden, instantly putting the pub on some people's boycott list.
    I'd have thought he'd drink in his local.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Erm, thousands of people have died because the leader of the opposition has failed to oppose lockdown? Is this guy (a life-long Labour-voting pub landlord) serious?
    He also went on to blame Starmer for not opposing children wearing masks in school - so selfish of him not to oppose protecting teachers.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Whether you "tick" a pub or not is entirely up to you. It's not a competition and there are no rules.
    Well said. Having just had our first away day out of the Midlands for a long time (York in October 2020 our last venture) we were so happy to visit Reading yesterday, and enjoyed the gardens in Nags Head, Castle Tap and Allied Arms, and of course the 14 ales both cask and draft we found in them. We had 2 new pub ticks as had only been to the Nags Head before, and in my book they re 2 new pubs for us.

I agree that ticking a pub and writing a review are 2 different things, I may have only 2 new pubs so far for 2021, but was overjoyed to have them, and look forward to away days to tick a few more seeing as holidays are off limits at the moment. I can't see a problem in reviewing a pub even if only in the garden. It could be useful for folk with kids and dogs.

If the last review was ancient, it does at least let folk know the pub has survived the pandemic and is still open.

Gill
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 24-04-2021 at 08:50.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Having just had our first away day out of the Midlands for a long time (York in October 2020 our last venture) we were so happy to visit Reading yesterday, and enjoyed the gardens in Nags Head, Castle Tap and Allied Arms, and of course the 14 ales both cask and draft we found in them. We had 2 new pub ticks as had only been to the Nags Head before, and in my book they re 2 new pubs for us. I won't attempt to do reviews on here after reading some of the comments. My rules.

Gill
    A review is always useful in my opinion Gill, don't let those who are stuck in their ways and make strange rules for themselves put you off! You never know when your comments may be useful to someone.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    A review is always useful in my opinion Gill, don't let those who are stuck in their ways and make strange rules for themselves put you off! You never know when your comments may be useful to someone.
    Feel a little wicked but after writing on the forum above, I have gone onto all the pubs we have been to since they reopened on 12.4.21 and written a review. Some hadn't had a visit for years, so it is a little bit to update this site showing pub is open for business.

Going out now to visit Glasshouse brewery garden.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Had my first post-lockdown pub visit on Sunday at The Oxted Inn (JD Wetherspoon). Unfortunately, they only had Ruddles and Doom Bar on cask, so the whole experience was hardly a great reminder of what I've been missing. The Doom Bar was only £1.99 a pint though, so at least I wasn't stung by the inflated prices that have been mentioned on the 'How Much?' thread.

I managed to have a nose around inside the pub, so I'll leave a review.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Had my first post-lockdown pub visit on Sunday at The Oxted Inn (JD Wetherspoon). Unfortunately, they only had Ruddles and Doom Bar on cask, so the whole experience was hardly a great reminder of what I've been missing. The Doom Bar was only £1.99 a pint though, so at least I wasn't stung by the inflated prices that have been mentioned on the 'How Much?' thread.
    Not quite the same deal as my pint of Jaipur for 99p there just before everything shut in November!