Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does a beer in a beer garden count as a new pub tick?

Default Does a beer in a beer garden count as a new pub tick?

Personally I don't think it counts and I'd have to revisit and enter the pub before I would consider it ticked.

Also, how do you post a valid review, if all you've seen of the pub are from benches at the rear?

I know people all have their own rules about ticking, but not actually going into the pub doesn't feel right to me.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Personally I don't think it counts and I'd have to revisit and enter the pub before I would consider it ticked.

Also, how do you post a valid review, if all you've seen of the pub are from benches at the rear?

I know people all have their own rules about ticking, but not actually going into the pub doesn't feel right to me.
    I agree.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I wasn't planning on going to any pubs that are new to me. If it turns out that I do, I'll let you know whether it constituted a tick or not!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Nope not a tick you are effectively just wasting your time and money even if you enter the pub to use the toilet and think that'll do as a tick, it doesn't in my view. But then I hate beer gardens anyway and now a marque in a garden/car park doesn't make me ecstatic either.

Default Sorry!

I'm probably out on a limb here, not self-identifying as a ticker, but of course it counts!

Do you have to have a drink in both the public bar and lounge to tick a twin-bar bar pub, or both upstairs and downstairs in a large 'spoons?

Of course not, so what's different about the beer garden?

Nothing really, so why not just review the garden and the beer, and make it clear that you didn't have the chance to peruse the interior...

PS - Apologies, but I've just had another candidate for a BABOTW from a tin and can't wait to get back out to a pub (garden) and a nice pint of fresh BBB!

My view as well, if you count drinking in a pub garden you may as well count drinking in a park opposite an offy.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    ...But then I hate beer gardens anyway and now a marque in a garden/car park doesn't make me ecstatic either.
    With you there mate, I've never been a fan of al fresco drinking at the best of times and April in Britain doesn't appeal given the vagaries of the weather, and as for ID cards by the back-door; forget that.

I wasn't impressed with much of the table service etc between lock downs either and after over four months of drinking in peace and never paying top dollar for a pint of vinegar, I suspect it will be a while before I'm back in a pub.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    My view as well, if you count drinking in a pub garden you may as well count drinking in a park opposite an offy.

With you there mate, I've never been a fan of al fresco drinking at the best of times and April in Britain doesn't appeal given the vagaries of the weather, and as for ID cards by the back-door; forget that.

I wasn't impressed with much of the table service etc between lock downs either and after over four months of drinking in peace and never paying top dollar for a pint of vinegar, I suspect it will be a while before I'm back in a pub.
    Tend to agree. I don't mind a pint outdoors on a sunny day-sunshine seems to increase the volatisation of the ingredients of the beer, but as I spend all day outside, it's good to relax indoors. I'll still record outdoor visits, if only to note beers taken.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

I doubt I'll really put much effort into this as I'm not a great fan of beer gardens and don't have many near me; they'll all be rammed anyway, except when it pours with rain, which it will do. A lot. And there are the ones that want you to book in advance. I might try and make an exception for the recently rebuilt The Carlton Tavern as I'm local too it and it does have a sizable beer garden; it deserves the support.
    Does just drinking in a beer garden count as a 'tick'? I would say probably, particularly if it involves being reached by going through the pub. The Ship (not visited for around 30 years) is across the road from the pub and next to a cement works; I need to write a 'heritage' review for it.
    Don't forget there are people that count a 'tick' as looking through an establishments window!
    Last edited by Tris39; 07-04-2021 at 19:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Don't forget there are people that count a 'tick' as looking through an establishments window!
    From the top deck of a bus.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

From the top deck of a bus.
    Only if it's through a dirty window.