Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone heard from Aqualung recently ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Coincidentally Walthamstow, or more accurately Highams Park is one of the first areas I have targeted for when we’re finally allowed vertical drinking within two feet of other human beings as I have yet to visit the new Wild Card Brewery tap room and Hackney Brewery are meant to be opening their new large tap room almost opposite on the other side of the Blackhorse Road. It’s only a relatively short hop from there to some of Aqualung’s locals, so if they all survive and come out the other side of this lock down we could look to put it together as a small Aqualung memorial crawl for anyone who is interested.
    Sign me up.
    Last edited by rpadam; 04-04-2021 at 18:27.

Coincidentally Walthamstow, or more accurately Highams Park is one of the first areas I have targeted for when we’re finally allowed vertical drinking within two feet of other human beings as I have yet to visit the new Wild Card Brewery tap room and Hackney Brewery are meant to be opening their new large tap room almost opposite on the other side of the Blackhorse Road. It’s only a relatively short hop from there to some of Aqualung’s locals, so if they all survive and come out the other side of this lock down we could look to put it together as a small Aqualung memorial crawl for anyone who is interested.
    Count me in.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

That's a really good idea, Steve.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

That's a great idea ,I'm up for it.

Sad news about Aqualung,RIP.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

...we could look to put it together as a small Aqualung memorial crawl for anyone who is interested.
    Great idea.

Looking at the list of pubs in that obit by his friend Mike, you'll have your work cut out devising the route: "Latterly his locals were around Walthamstow and Wanstead, the George*, the Drum**, the William** and Rose and Crown**. Over the years they included the Prince [actually Princess, it seems] Of Wales on Lea Bridge Road, the Anchor and Hope, the London Tavern (E5), the Wheatsheaf (Borough Market), the Windmill (Tabernacle St), the City Retreat (Darts)***, the Angel (St Giles Circus), the Leopard***, and closer to home the Cricketers in Woodford. Further afield they included the Vaynol Arms in Nant Peris, and until lockdown most weeks he was to be seen at least once in the Great Western at Wolverhampton, a strong candidate for his favourite pub of all."

* I presume the reference is to the Spoons in Wanstead.
    ** I don't know where these are - is it the William the Fourth in Leyton (which he used to like but his last review expressed disappointment)? The Drum (another 'Spoons) is also Leyton. The Rose and Crown can't be this one in the Stow as his review was negative.
    ***No idea about these.

Grateful for any prompts for the others. I mean, Gann will be grateful!
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 04-04-2021 at 20:01.
    Come On You Hatters!

Very sad news to hear. Aqualung was one of the most prolific posters on the forum when I joined PUG and always enjoyed reading his contributions. I was planning to order from Blue Monkey before I heard this news, so I'll be sure to raise a glass to him when they arrive.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Looking at the list of pubs in that obit by his friend Mike, you'll have your work cut out devising the route: "Latterly his locals were around Walthamstow and Wanstead, the George*, the Drum**, the William** and Rose and Crown**. Over the years they included the Prince [actually Princess, it seems] Of Wales on Lea Bridge Road, the Anchor and Hope, the London Tavern (E5), the Wheatsheaf (Borough Market), the Windmill (Tabernacle St), the City Retreat (Darts)***, the Angel (St Giles Circus), the Leopard***, and closer to home the Cricketers in Woodford. Further afield they included the Vaynol Arms in Nant Peris, and until lockdown most weeks he was to be seen at least once in the Great Western at Wolverhampton, a strong candidate for his favourite pub of all."

* I presume the reference is to the Spoons in Wanstead.
    ** I don't know where these are - is it the William the Fourth in Leyton (which he used to like but his last review expressed disappointment)? The Drum (another 'Spoons) is also Leyton. The Rose and Crown can't be this one in the Stow as his review was negative.
    ***No idea about these.

Grateful for any prompts for the others. I mean, Gann will be grateful!
    I know he used the William The Fourth very regularly until about five or six years ago, The same with The Drum and also stopped using that so often. He told me that in the last couple of years or so he had started using Ye Olde Rose & Crown more often, maybe when he started getting problems with his legs.
    The Leopard was in Finsbury , it's now demolished. I presume The City Retreat was this one, also demolished.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Sad to hear this news about Aqualung. Always enjoyed his company on the crawls, and his many interesting and knowledgeable contributions on the Forum. RIP Aqualung
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I know he used the William The Fourth very regularly until about five or six years ago, The same with The Drum and also stopped using that so often. He told me that in the last couple of years or so he had started using Ye Olde Rose & Crown more often, maybe when he started getting problems with his legs.
    The Leopard was in Finsbury , it's now demolished. I presume The City Retreat was this one, also demolished.
    Thanks, Mick. Somehow this detail makes sadder reading than the simple fact of Aqualung's death, sad as it was.
    Come On You Hatters!