Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Has anyone heard from Aqualung recently ?

Hybrid View

Default Has anyone heard from Aqualung recently ?

The reason I ask is because the latest edition of London Drinker, on page 39, has a tribute to a Martin Pope, whose photograph and back story of affiliation with East London and City CAMRA branch, penchant for visiting every Wetherspoons outlet in the country bar the airport ones, and lately having his locals around Walthamstow has more than a passing similarity to Aqualung.
    Also Martin sadly passed away on the 22nd of January this year and worryingly Aqualung's last post on these forums was the 19th of January.

Hopefully I am putting 1 and 1 together and getting 57, but if anyone knows anything else.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    The reason I ask is because the latest edition of London Drinker, on page 39, has a tribute to a Martin Pope, whose photograph and back story of affiliation with East London and City CAMRA branch, penchant for visiting every Wetherspoons outlet in the country bar the airport ones, and lately having his locals around Walthamstow has more than a passing similarity to Aqualung.
    Also Martin sadly passed away on the 22nd of January this year and worryingly Aqualung's last post on these forums was the 19th of January.

Hopefully I am putting 1 and 1 together and getting 57, but if anyone knows anything else.
    Sadly, it would seem that you are correct, his obituary here.

... the latest edition of London Drinker, on page 39, has a tribute to a Martin Pope, whose photograph and back story
    When I met him in Newcastle Under Lyme I asked him his real name and he told me Martin, but said he preferred Aqualung.

Sad news.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Sad news.
    Indeed. I think I know the person who wrote the obituary, so I shall enquire further.

I hadn't been in contact with him since last July via email , I was enquired about his "abandonment" (as he put it) from PUG, and wondered if he was still with us at the time knowing his health was not good,to which he replied in true Aqualung style, " The Grim Reaper hasn't turned up yet, but without going into details, I suspect he's on his way." He put the record straight regarding his absence from the forum, which I think I should keep to myself out of respect, but seemed in reasonable cheer otherwise. That was back in July and I didn't contact him again, promising to next time I was in his neck of the woods, Covid put paid to that. Yes it is a shame and also a shame he seemed rather bitter , needlessly in my view about certain things, but that I guess was his character. I didn't know his name but he did say he couldn't handle calling me Mick, so Moby it was. Despite stubbornly refusing to post again on the forum I know he was logging on most days since his last abrupt post on 8/5/20, his last log on was the 19th of Jan this year.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Sad news indeed. He sent me lots of Spoons photos via CD ROM in the post to give my dad who didn't take photos of Spoons until a few years ago for his records of doing nearly all of them himself. Thoughts with his family and friends.

Sad news. RIP aqualung.

I am a salmon !!

One of those times I was hoping to be proved wrong, but I guess not. The reference to Martin being a keen cyclist and the fit looking bloke in the 1982 photo was giving me some hope as that was hard to imagine from the not so agile Aqualung we knew.
    RIP Aqualung and I will certainly be getting some Blue Monkey beers in to drink in your honour as suggested in Mike Chrimes tribute.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

One of those times I was hoping to be proved wrong, but I guess not. The reference to Martin being a keen cyclist and the fit looking bloke in the 1982 photo was giving me some hope as that was hard to imagine from the not so agile Aqualung we knew.
    RIP Aqualung and I will certainly be getting some Blue Monkey beers in to drink in your honour as suggested in Mike Chrimes tribute.
    I have contacted Mike, who it turns has known Martin since 1972.

He says that our comrade hardly went out at all after the first lockdown, which - given his weight - was really bad for him.

However, Mike wasn't aware of the Aqualung non-de-plume, but said that it suited him well.