Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone heard from Aqualung recently ?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Sorry to hear this, I can't claim to know the chap personally but I always enjoyed reading his reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Very sad news. I didn’t always agree, but I would always take the time to read anything he wrote here. A really informative reviewer too.
    I also really enjoyed reading his reviews and we did both agree that we may have rather diverse opinions of what constituted a good pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Am honoured to say that I was part of the advanced party to the Wellers Micropub on the NuL crawl when we entered to an empty bar except for this strange bearded bloke tucked away in the corner. We were expecting to meet him at some point during the day and I think it was Neville who finally plucked up the courage to ask “are you Aqualung?”
    I had remembered it as the previous pub, the Lymestone Vaults, but on checking my notes I now think I saw him there and wondered if it was him, but he then wandered off without making himself known. I went to another pub before rejoining the rest of you in Weller's, where the ice had been broken by the time I arrived.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I had remembered it as the previous pub, the Lymestone Vaults, but on checking my notes I now think I saw him there and wondered if it was him, but he then wandered off without making himself known. I went to another pub before rejoining the rest of you in Weller's, where the ice had been broken by the time I arrived.
    He was definitely in the Lymestone Vaults, deliberately ignoring us and watching as we discuss between ourselves whether or not we thought it might be him. His post about it here http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...ll=1#post93691 - I always found that endearing as it is exactly the sort of thing I'd do

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Am honoured to say that I was part of the advanced party to the Wellers Micropub on the NuL crawl when we entered to an empty bar except for this strange bearded bloke tucked away in the corner. We were expecting to meet him at some point during the day and I think it was Neville who finally plucked up the courage to ask “are you Aqualung?”
    I don’t remember much about the beer in Wellers, except that it was decent, but I do remember the bars homage to the Mod Father , and meeting Aqualung for the first time.
    I will always remember that first encounter.Aqualung was the only customer in Wellers ,sitting at a long table with a bench seat by the bar.I was struck by how much he resembled his avatar,so plucked up the courage to enquire if he was indeed Aqualung.He answered ..."sitting on a park bench " which as a keen Jethro Tull fan I recognised as the opening line to their song Aqualung.Clever answer to my opening gambit.

He managed to appear in all the PuG crawls from that date onwards,going at his own pace but I'm pleased to have met him and had brief chats with him on all these crawls.He even managed to play Aqualung on the juke box in the Salopian Bar,the kick off for the Shrewsbury crawl which for all of us was the last crawl before Covid.

I will raise a glass of Blue Monkey beer in his memory when I next encounter their ales ,which will then be followed by a whole lot more. I share his enthusiasm for their brews.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I will raise a glass of Blue Monkey beer in his memory when I next encounter their ales ,which will then be followed by a whole lot more. I share his enthusiasm for their brews.
    There's free shipping on Blue Monkey beers ordered from their website this week, should anyone need one last restock before the pubs reopen.

https://bluemonkeybrewery.com/shop/

This Space For Hire

Very sad news. I met him on several PuG crawls and we seemed to be on a similar wavelength (not to mention both being somewhat ancient, hairy and overweight!). Definitely on for a memorial pint or several in East London, if it comes together.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

We had a good chat with Aqualung in the Cask Bar, on the Newcastle under Lyme crawl, mostly beer and music related. He was good company and full of funny stories. Soupy was with us too. We then met him on the train from Stafford.

As you can see from this photo in the Cask Bar, he wasn't keen on having his photo taken
    IMG_20180615_173602.jpg
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

I was glad to see that Martin / Aqualung was one of those who received a public obituary / tribute during Camra's annual conference today.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I was glad to see that Martin / Aqualung was one of those who received a public obituary / tribute during Camra's annual conference today.
    That's good to hear. I submitted some from our branch for the slot and wondered if anything would come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I submitted some from our branch for the slot and wondered if anything would come of it.
    All submissions were accepted, as far as I know, so I hope so.