Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
Looking at the list of pubs in that obit by his friend Mike, you'll have your work cut out devising the route: "Latterly his locals were around Walthamstow and Wanstead, the George*, the Drum**, the William** and Rose and Crown**. Over the years they included the Prince [actually Princess, it seems] Of Wales on Lea Bridge Road, the Anchor and Hope, the London Tavern (E5), the Wheatsheaf (Borough Market), the Windmill (Tabernacle St), the City Retreat (Darts)***, the Angel (St Giles Circus), the Leopard***, and closer to home the Cricketers in Woodford. Further afield they included the Vaynol Arms in Nant Peris, and until lockdown most weeks he was to be seen at least once in the Great Western at Wolverhampton, a strong candidate for his favourite pub of all."

* I presume the reference is to the Spoons in Wanstead.
** I don't know where these are - is it the William the Fourth in Leyton (which he used to like but his last review expressed disappointment)? The Drum (another 'Spoons) is also Leyton. The Rose and Crown can't be this one in the Stow as his review was negative.
***No idea about these.

Grateful for any prompts for the others. I mean, Gann will be grateful!
I know he used the William The Fourth very regularly until about five or six years ago, The same with The Drum and also stopped using that so often. He told me that in the last couple of years or so he had started using Ye Olde Rose & Crown more often, maybe when he started getting problems with his legs.
The Leopard was in Finsbury , it's now demolished. I presume The City Retreat was this one, also demolished.