Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visited Pubs Button

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    On the right hand side of the screen where you can follow areas pubs there should be 3 buttons . Click the bottom one - visited pubs.
    Oh yes, just put my reading glasses on.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    So initially if you click that you have visited it puts up the message "I have visited this pub at some point". It also gives that message where I have based it on a review, so I've changed that so it now says the date that is based on. (It may not be based on most recent review, in fact probably oldest I'm afraid)
    Many thanks for making that tweak Dave.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    You need to be at "Town" level before it's visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    On the right hand side of the screen where you can follow areas pubs there should be 3 buttons . Click the bottom one - visited pubs.
    Ah got it! Thx

So initially if you click that you have visited it puts up the message "I have visited this pub at some point". It also gives that message where I have based it on a review, so I've changed that so it now says the date that is based on. (It may not be based on most recent review, in fact probably oldest I'm afraid)
    Have you changed this again? I'm now seeing two different messages (taking Barnsley postal town as an example): the pubs I reviewed in 2017 to 2019 say "I visited this pub around 02/11/2017 (based on review)", but the pubs I reviewed in 2013 say "I have visited this pub at some point".

I guess the important questions for anyone reading this are:-
    Do you want to record that you have visited a pub? I think it is useful to have a record even if you haven't reviewed it.
    Do you want to record a date (either exact or rough)? I can see how it could be useful, but not sure of a good interface to make it easy to do for historic records. Obviously I could add a 'check in' button for mobile version of site for recording as you go.
    How would you feel about other users being able to see which pubs you've visited? I think it could be handy in that someone may not have reviewed somewhere you are thinking of visiting so you could then check with them if it is worth it. But privacy issues maybe?
    Personally, I don't see this being very useful to me for two reasons. One, I'm not really fully into keeping records on a smart phone or an app, I'm more of a notebook-and-spreadsheets guy. Two, some of my uses of the Review field are to record historic information or trailing a new pub opening/changed pub reopening, and are not connected to my being anywhere nearby at the time. I can't see myself trawling through more than two thousand entries in postal towns throughout the UK to correct this.

However, I can see a 'check in' button for mobile users as being potentially useful, with a view to encouraging activity for new users. There would be no privacy issue as far as I'm concerned if this information was shared publicly, but I can see why others might not be so unbothered; perhaps a 'share' button as well?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I guess the important questions for anyone reading this are:-
    Do you want to record that you have visited a pub? I think it is useful to have a record even if you haven't reviewed it.
    Do you want to record a date (either exact or rough)? I can see how it could be useful, but not sure of a good interface to make it easy to do for historic records. Obviously I could add a 'check in' button for mobile version of site for recording as you go.
    How would you feel about other users being able to see which pubs you've visited? I think it could be handy in that someone may not have reviewed somewhere you are thinking of visiting so you could then check with them if it is worth it. But privacy issues maybe?
    After some deliberation, I would find it useful, particularly as a reference tool when out and about without access to my paper records (well, they mostly pre-date electronics!). It would certainly take a bit of data entry but I reckon that would be worthwhile. One slight hesitancy - it looks as though it flags up a possible visit for contributions like photos, map corrections, weblinks etc. These are not necessarily an indication of a visit, whereas a review almost certainly is. It might be useful if there was some differentiation between a possible deduced visit and one I have entered myself.

I am undecided about the value of a date field, largely due to the impossibility of coping with repeat visits. No problem with others knowing I have been somewhere (but if I haven't reviewed it I probably can't remember much about it!!)
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    it looks as though it flags up a possible visit for contributions like photos, map corrections, weblinks etc. These are not necessarily an indication of a visit, whereas a review almost certainly is. It might be useful if there was some differentiation between a possible deduced visit and one I have entered myself.
    It should only be based on reviews, will look into that. You are quite right about differentiating confidence in visits, need to sort that out.

This Space For Hire

I have had a play with inserting some entries. not too bad (apart of course from coping with name changes, county boundaries etc etc) - the date select widget is more fiddley than typing the numbers in, but I guess gives more consistent format. Marginally annoying at not being able to edit date (or when it is guessing at a visit) but work-round of deleting and re-inserting is no real problem. The greater question is how to make best use of the output: it's Ok as a live reference tool; outputting on a map would be good; maybe a symbol/flag on the pub entry itself; being able to download lists in some way would be quite handy; a stats output would be interesting. Being tied to postal towns might be a bit limiting though - counties perhaps?
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement