Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Photoless Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Another pub on the map as photoless but with a reasonable picture, albeit 2004, it looks the same as it did when I reviewed it in 2016.
    Yes, didn't Dave say there are 130 of them? They're not errors - they're there because I asked Dave to put them there! The thing they have in common is that they are small format and can't be enlarged. I still think it's a good idea to encourage photographers to seek them out and do a more up-to-date photograph, in terms of size and definition as much as to record the building again, but it's not compulsory!

Shame I failed to take a photo at the time.
    So get yourself back there, then.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yes, didn't Dave say there are 130 of them? They're not errors - they're there because I asked Dave to put them there! The thing they have in common is that they are small format and can't be enlarged. I still think it's a good idea to encourage photographers to seek them out and do a more up-to-date photograph, in terms of size and definition as much as to record the building again, but it's not compulsory!

So get yourself back there, then.
    The beer was Doom Bar !
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Out of interest how did they get on the site annonomously anyway?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I think it was a mass upload that Conrad and Dave did when they transformed the previous site to something more like what it is today.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

The thing they have in common is that they are small format and can't be enlarged. I still think it's a good idea to encourage photographers to seek them out and do a more up-to-date photograph, in terms of size and definition as much as to record the building again, but it's not compulsory!
    Doubly so, given that some of the 'Anonymous User' photos show the wrong pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Doubly so, given that some of the 'Anonymous User' photos show the wrong pub.
    Examples?
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Examples?
    None that I had found. Because when I encountered one (and not for a long time), I requested a dwarf delete it. At the time I thought that 'Anonymous User' was some kink of hoaxer. Only now because of your mention of Dave's and Conrad's 'site transformation' mentioned above did all become clear. But if there are some pubs with just the one photo and it's wrong, then it may be worth checking if in the area so that a correct photo can be taken.
    Last edited by Tris39; 11-04-2021 at 18:44.

I created the first version of the site in early 2003, at that stage anyone could submit a photo without needing to log in. I wasn't storing them in good quality or the date they were submitted. Conrad then wrote a new version of the site that we released in July 2004, we kept all the old photos and just set the date as the day of the release. Since then lots of the old photos (around 100 were mine) have been deleted.