Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Photoless Pubs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Dave M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,190

    Default Photoless Pubs

    There is now a map showing the remaining 4000 or so pubs without a photo https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-without-photos/

  2. #2
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Talking of pictureless pubs, I've been working on something https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-without-photos/
    Wowser! Where's the emoji for "squeals of photographer joy"?

    That looks really good and definitely something I could use once we're allowed to do non-essential journeys again.

    A thought: I've noticed a few pubs with photos that were uploaded by "anonymous user" some time in 2004. As far as I can recall, these are all in a smaller format and include such things as pencil drawings, watercolours and postcards. (Maybe I'm exaggerating.) Is there any way of defining "pictureless pubs" as those with nothing since the date of these picture uploads? It's quite possible that there are only a few left that have not been superseded by more up-to-date photos, so if it looks like being a big change, just say no.
    Come On You Hatters!

  3. #3
    Administrator Dave M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Wowser! Where's the emoji for "squeals of photographer joy"?

    That looks really good and definitely something I could use once we're allowed to do non-essential journeys again.

    A thought: I've noticed a few pubs with photos that were uploaded by "anonymous user" some time in 2004. As far as I can recall, these are all in a smaller format and include such things as pencil drawings, watercolours and postcards. (Maybe I'm exaggerating.) Is there any way of defining "pictureless pubs" as those with nothing since the date of these picture uploads? It's quite possible that there are only a few left that have not been superseded by more up-to-date photos, so if it looks like being a big change, just say no.
    Just moved this into a new thread to make sure more people see it.

    I've been meaning to do a map of this for ages because I know I'd find it useful, have a trip planned for West Cornwall in May so thought it'd be a good opportunity to get a few photos, turns out there aren't many around there to get https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-wi...49902343751,11 (notice you can share a URL with the co-ordinates at the end)

    Also, good idea with the 2004 photos, they are added into it now so number has gone up by about 130.

  4. #4
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

    Also, good idea with the 2004 photos, they are added into it now so number has gone up by about 130.
    Still a few showing as not having pics: The Oak for example.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

  5. #5
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Also, good idea with the 2004 photos, they are added into it now so number has gone up by about 130.
    Thanks, Dave. I missed this announcement somehow - hope you didn't think I was ungrateful for the prompt response to my suggestion! (Same day, too - very impressive.)

    Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Still a few showing as not having pics: The Oak for example.
    Yes, that's the idea! Any pubs with *only* a photo or other picture that was uploaded in July 2004 will show as photoless until someone takes and uploads a new one. The one you mention has got quite a decent photo, but lots of them are just drawings or images from place mats - the photo of The Oak is just small format, but there are others that don't do either the pub or this site any favours.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #6
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out saving pubs and enjoying it.
    Posts
    4,916

    Default

    Another pub on the map as photoless but with a reasonable picture, albeit 2004, it looks the same as it did when I reviewed it in 2016. Shame I failed to take a photo at the time.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  7. #7
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Trent & Mersey
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Excellent! Always nice to know when something I've done actually works! Strange that it was showing on the pictureless pubs list, will look into that.

    Talking of pictureless pubs, I've been working on something https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-without-photos/
    Fantastic feature,well done Dave !
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  8. #8
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Looking good Dave.

    Any chance of a similar feature for unreviewed pubs?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  9. #9
    Administrator Dave M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Looking good Dave.

    Any chance of a similar feature for unreviewed pubs?
    Certainly can, the trouble comes with loading all 16000 in one go. My computer and phone can just about handle it, but it causes a bit of a strain https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-without-reviews/

    I am keen to make more use of mapping in general, so ideas for useful visualisations are welcome.

  10. #10
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Absolutely excellent feature and will help enormously - great job! Marginally annoying in that some of the places I have planned for this year have no photo gaps at all, but I suppose that is generally good news.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-01-2020, 09:49
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2016, 13:01
  3. The Pub Curmudgeon - Back to when pubs were pubs
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-05-2015, 17:12
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 09:14
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-10-2010, 21:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •