Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wokeness

Default Wokeness

I'm appalled -

"Quote Originally Posted by hondo:

The Black Boy Hotel now called The Lady Elizabeth

and

Blacks Head now called The Quarryman"

These names are gender-specific and are offensive to those people who, through no fault of their own (it's always someone else's fault) are pronoun-challenged. Come on GK, get your act in order or I'll go and cry in your safe space.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Ah yes, erasing black history for a white woman... all in the name of progress of course.

Just Missed the Round

From what I have heard, I believe general consensus was that the "Black Boy" name related to children being sent up chimneys and coming back down covered in soot. A different form of slavery, I suppose.

I haven't heard any explanation about the less common "Black's Head" name, and certainly The Quarryman has (or had, at the time of my visit) the old pub sign inside depicting a "person of colour" so maybe there is a racial connection with that name. That alone, of course, still doesn't make it racist. It would be interesting to find out if any members of minority groups are actually bothered about things like this, or whether it's a bunch of white people in suits sat round a board room table deciding to find things offensive on behalf of others.

Ultimately though, this will be a business decision. We have to remember that breweries and pub companies are businesses, with the intention of making money. If there is the slightest risk that somebody could be offended by the name of an establishment (whether with valid reason or not) then from a business perspective it makes sense to change the name. If they can give themselves a pat on the back for appearing to embrace multiculturalism in the process, that of course is an added bonus for them.

I wonder if anyone will be getting offended on behalf of White and Red Lions next...

The sweep's boy theory doesn't really work, the name is older than sending children up chimneys, it probably goes back to the crusader times perhaps the Turk's Head/Saracens Head which led to Blackamoor and Black Boy. According to my big book of pubs signs there was a Black Boy & Camel in Leadenhall St (London), a Black Girl in Clarborough Notts and an Arab Boy somewhere between Putney and East Sheen. A Black Boy & Still occurs in Brentford but the odd name prize goes to Black Boy & Stomach-ache, but they don't say where that was. The Black Boy was also a favourite name with tobacconists.

Changing pub names from or indeed to the Black Boy isn't new either the book lists a few examples going either way.

I think blaming the commercial reasons for GK's action is spot on, there are too many people constantly on the look out for something to be offended by either for themselves or on behalf of some group. The West African Slave Trade and the British Empire are favourite targets of this lot, ironic given that the Empire was all but dead when I was a kid and the West African Slave Trade ended from a British point of view 200 years ago. Amongst the woke there is a distinct lack of awareness of most of the historic elements of slavery and of course very little protest about modern day slavery. Still I suppose it's easier to moan about what long dead people did 200 - 400 years ago than to give up cheap clothes, cheap trainers and cheap tech.

That concludes this mornings rant.

This Space For Hire

My local growing up in Walkden was called The Cock. A pile of rubble now, but give it five years and that name might be deemed inappropriate

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    My local growing up in Walkden was called The Cock. A pile of rubble now, but give it five years and that name might be deemed inappropriate
    I've driven past a Moorcock Inn a few times, always amuses me.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Several of the older pubs called The Black Boy were given that name around the time of the restoration of the monarchy in 1660.Charles II was given the nickname "The Black Boy" by his mother Henrietta Maria of France on account of his dark complexion and hair .Pub signs often feature the king and compared with Cromwell he must have been a barrel of laughs.Good enough reason to name a pub after him.
    Shame to loose a bit of history,an unintended consequence of wokishness ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Several of the older pubs called The Black Boy were given that name around the time of the restoration of the monarchy in 1660.Charles II was given the nickname "The Black Boy" by his mother Henrietta Maria of France on account of his dark complexion and hair .Pub signs often feature the king and compared with Cromwell he must have been a barrel of laughs.Good enough reason to name a pub after him.
    Shame to loose a bit of history,an unintended consequence of wokishness ?
    Interesting, and as a lot of pubs do seem to be named after kings and queens, that explanation does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    That concludes this mornings rant.
    Glad you got that off your chest!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Glad you got that off your chest!
    Lockdown hobby of mine