Visit The Good Beer Hunting site

These are the words, images, and beers that inspired the GBH Collective this week. Drinking alone just got better, because now you’re drinking with all of us.
NICK YODER READ.// “Instead of being light-hearted and wholesome, these stories come from a dark, complicated past. Most are suspenseful and haunting, designed to keep kids awake and laboring into the night rather than slipping off to sleep. Enslaved parents knew the consequences of unfinished tasks on the plantation were far more brutal than sleep deprivation.” I just finished Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard’s Let My People Go Surfing, which led me to a web shop visit—and while I didn’t end up buying anything, I was rewarded with Dr. Rae Wynn Grant’s piece on the intersection of black bears and slavery. It’s an eye-opening read in yet another realm where Black voices and stories are underrepresented.
LOOK.// Embracing cold-weather outdoor activities makes Michigan winters tolerable, and dare I say it, even fun. I’ve always been intrigued by cold-water surfing since I learned people surf the Great Lakes and, for a landlocked Midwesterner, I hold an uncharacteristic appreciation for surf films. “Happy Recluse,” Arc’teryx’s cold-water ode to surfer Pete Devries, is a quick, solid addition to the canon.
DRINK.// Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Out of nowhere this classic Hefeweissbier started showing up in four-pack cans like the hype beer it should be. Ever since Live Oak Hefeweizen reignited my love for the style, I’ve been on a quest to find a great, readily available version. Now, that search is complete.
JAMAAL LEMON READ.// “In contrast, in 2020 digital surveillance made it far easier to monitor and pinpoint the disease vectors, meaning that quarantine could be both more selective and more effective. Even more importantly, automation and the internet made extended lockdowns viable, at least in developed countries. While in some parts of the developing world the human experience was still reminiscent of past plagues, in much of the developed world the digital revolution changed everything.” I’m always torn when it comes to technology and automation, and that’s never been more true than right now. On the one hand, I think we’re all a little robotic when it comes to our phones and the things we do with them—and the pandemic just gave us a swift kick in the ass further down that hallway. Then again, our use of technology, and the way it makes communication simpler, may be the one thing that propels us out of quarantine.
LOOK.// One of my old high school buddies happens to be one of the flyest creators of art I’ve ever seen. I always feel energized when I see his work.
DRINK.// Suspended Brewing Company’s Double Black Pearl
Ever since we moved to Baltimore, Suspended has been the unofficial pull-up spot. Aside from pulling weekend shifts—prior to COVID-19, anyway—I always managed to get my hands on this Stout whenever it was brewed.
KATE BERNOT READ.// “Complete disregard for Black freedom and rights in the antebellum South and beyond has wiped significant pieces of African culture from history—*and Black contributions to cider are no exception.” I'm learning a lot from Dan Pucci and Craig Cavallo's new book, American Cider. (You can read an excerpt at the publisher’s website before you order.) It illuminates aspects of American cider’s history that often go overlooked—the contributions of African and indigenous people, and how class structure affected regional orchards, for example. Even if you’re not a cider geek, the book is an engaging read.
LOOK.// A friend bought me a book on tarot design, and it’s expanded my understanding of the symbology and figuration behind the cards. One of my favorite decks I’ve recently discovered is Kati Forner’s Dreslyn tarot, a minimal, abstract alternative to classic decks like the Rider-Waite.
DRINK.// Good Word Brewing’s For The Cold Days in Hell
This spelt-rye Lager dry-hopped with Saphir is a collab between Southern breweries Good Word Brewing, Saint Somewhere Brewing Company, Bhramari Brewing Co., and Pontoon Brewing. The rustic grain bill and herbal-fruity Saphir hops mesh in an unexpected but cohesive way—I loved everything about this beer.
Curated by
The GBH Collective

More...