Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I were a lad ....

Default When I were a lad ....

Hi all,

Back in the 80's when i was a kid I used to collect matchboxes. I had thousands and as far as I know they are all stored at my mothers !! ( I couldn't bear to throw them away !! )

In fact i used to keep anything to do with pubs, beer, smoking etc.. - ash trays, bar towels, beermats - you name it , I collected it !!

I was sorting some old stuff out at the weekend and I came across these matchboxes. They must be from the mid 80's and i thought some of you may know the pubs. I have just had a quick look and the Waggon - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14884/ - is now a shocking pink colour.

My favourite is Pardoes, just up the road from me, it looks just the same now.

I thought I would share them with you, they may just bring back some memories !!!

Cheers,

Del.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pub matchboxes.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	343  

I'll stay on me own

Hi Del
    The last time i was in Weymouth 2004 the Duke of Edinburgh was still operating as a pub and was selling Archers beers.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Astonishing that pubs even had boxes printed with the hosts names - X&Y welcome you...
    I don't recall seeing any such items in the late 70s or 80s, but am very pleased to see the images here Del, thanks.

Glad you like them.

I will have a hunt and see what else I can find - I must have quite a bit of pub related stuff.

Watch this space ......

I notice most are made by The Conquest Match Co so my guess is there was some salesman going round Pubs & Clubs selling them as Advertising for Business Etc.
    I Also remember seeing lots of Books of Matches with the Pub Club or Hotel details on the front as well in the Mid seventy's. Nice too see Old memory's Ive forgotten.

P/s this is one of them I think Duke of Edinburgh as it same street http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10161/
    Last edited by Alesonly; 11-08-2010 at 22:43.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

.When I was a lad you could buy three dinosaurs for a quid. I had a collection of them but when I left home Mother threw them out of the cave. She said they made a mess and the nice Neanderthal Man ,now in my bedroom, paid good money so as not have to share.
    The only thing I have from my childhood is a WW2 souvenir from my dad , a bronze badge issued by the N S Health and Fitness League.Mind that is not the story he told me which was it came from a German Storm Trooper.Yeah , I bet Catterick Army Camp was over run with'em.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I thought I would share them with you, they may just bring back some memories !!!
    Good pictures, feel free to post them against the pubs on the main site if you like, as you say they are great memories of what used to be.

Have just stuck an old one for the Globe in Andover on - I might have a few more like that around.

Th one I've just put on dates from the 1960s, and it's interesting to see how little the pub has changed, but you can see how the building next door has had a roof extension done to bring it up to the same height.

Adding these old photos increases this site's value as a repository of social history, IMHO.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Good pictures.... they are great memories of what used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Adding these old photos increases this site's value as a repository of social history, IMHO.
    Totally agree. However, what would increase their usefulness no end would be the facility to add the (approximate) date of when the photo was taken, alongside the submission date.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Exactly what I was thinking.

The year of the photo needs to be displayed to build a picture of how the pub has changed and developed over the years. I wish I had photos of the long gone pubs in my local town. I may be able to get hold of some and i will try.
    I know that a friend has some photos of one of my old locals taken as it was being demolished.

Cheers,

Del.