Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Scottish X Ales can be problematic. Problematic in terms of placing them in a style box.

In England, it’s generally pretty easy. X’s usually indicate a Mild Ale. But it’s not always so clear cut in Scotland. Quite often X’s are used not for Mild Ale, but for Stock Ale. Younger XXXX is a case in point. The weaker X Ales of that year to look like Mild Ales. But, with a hopping rate of almost 11 lbs per quarter of malt, this looks more like a Stock Ale. That’s what I’m calling it, anyway.

The grist is typical for Younger’s beers of this period: pale malt, grits and sugar. Several different types of pale malt, of course. And two types of sugar, one described as “D”, the other “G”. Presumably dextrose and glucose. I’ve simplified it to just glucose. If you want to go for more authenticity, use 1 lb. of dextrose and 0.5 lb. of glucose.

The hops – listed as Pacific, American and Kent – were half from the 1898 and half from the 1897 season. And in sufficient quantities to leave the calculated bitterness at over 100 IBU.
1898 William Younger XXXX
pale malt 14.00 lb 82.35%
grits 1.50 lb 8.82%
glucose 1.50 lb 8.82%
Cluster 90 min 5.75 oz
Fuggles 30 min 2.25 oz
Goldings dry hops 2.00 oz
OG 1076
FG 1020
ABV 7.41
Apparent attenuation 73.68%
IBU 126