Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's been a long time

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Or if crowds are going to be allowed at football matches, how about a few pre-match pints in the Bricklayers Arms? It can get a bit crowded there on match days, but in your fantasy universe, presumably we don't have to worry about keeping two metres apart any more.

Along much the same lines,for me it has to be The George.Not the most historic or beautiful pub and Croydon is hardly the centre of the pub universe but I've really missed the quality pints both pre and post match,the banter and the sociability.Last visit 13th March 2020
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I see sh couldn't summon up the Will power to stick to the brief, and made mention of ten pubs, but I did enjoy re-reading our previous nominations for top-10 pubs.
    Of the upper-echelons (according to most choices) I had 7 missing, of which I have since managed to tick only one. As the top10s were generally agreed to be a moveable feast, I wonder whether that is a subject ready for review, or too soon after losing most of a pub year..? Or, perhaps, what are your top 5 'new' targets, once we are allowed back into the field..?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I see sh couldn't summon up the Will power to stick to the brief, and made mention of ten pubs, but I did enjoy re-reading our previous nominations for top-10 pubs.
    As with the "top 10 pubs" thread, I actually picked 11 in reply to Delboy's original post!

And yes, as has often been pointed out, will-power is not necessarily my strong point.
    Come On You Hatters!

Not quite sticking to the brief but in ascending order of proximity:

White Horse, Welton - oft visited, rarely disappointed.
    Seven Stars, Rugby - number one local meeting spot.
    Marble Arch, Manchester - with the usual crew for top quality ale.

I dearly hope that they all re-open and as soon as possible.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'd be happy to join you there, as long as it's your shout!
    Yes. It's the third most expensive pub I've visited which is why I never have more than one pint but as a regular, going about twice a week, I got an unofficial loyalty discount of about 30p per pint. I suppose you pay for the Nationally Important interior...

Some great suggestions, even though the "one" pub brief has been largely ignored

If I could go out right now and have a few pints without regulations, eating, social distancing etc it would be The Vine or Old Swan Inn . I live within walking distance of both and it is a tough call to separate them. I think The Bull & Bladder just edges it as I am from Quarry Bank. I drive past it every day.

If i was having a few pre match pints it would be The Wellington

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Some great suggestions, even though the "one" pub brief has been largely ignored

If I could go out right now and have a few pints without regulations, eating, social distancing etc it would be The Vine or Old Swan Inn . I live within walking distance of both and it is a tough call to separate them. I think The Bull & Bladder just edges it as I am from Quarry Bank. I drive past it every day.
    Just go to both of them! The walk will do you good...
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Okay so we are now well in to another lockdown. Some have enjoyed a bit more freedom with the tier system but we are all now in the same boat.

If you could spend a few hours in one pub (no restrictions - table booking / service etc) which pub would it be ?

Over to you.....
    The one pub I would like to visit would be The Ponsonby Arms in Llangollen with its 10 cask ales.
    But it will never happen because it is now on the "Pubs No More" site due to Covid going on too long!

My best Football match pub would be "The Golden Triangle" at Oakengates with its 10 rooms, about 30 handpumps and 3 sets of toilets to choose from all closer than the one set in some Wetherspoons! I always return after the match to continue the pleasure and have a pint with Oggwyn.
    It would also mean my team FC United would have been promoted a league to meet Telford again! More Fantasy Island!!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The one pub I would like to visit would be The Ponsonby Arms in Llangollen with its 10 cask ales.
    But it will never happen because it is now on the "Pubs No More" site due to Covid going on too long!
    That's very sad news,great pub very close to the canal
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Real Ale Drinker

It'll be The Ship And Mitre, Liverpool, for me and will probably be the first pub I visit anyway when all this shite is over.