Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glitch in town and area listings

Default Glitch in town and area listings

I've noticed a few instances recently of pubs not appearing in town and area listings, but existing as an entry and being found by a name search. The example that prompted this thread is a closed pub, the Scottish Queen, which I first sought on the Sheffield list (missing); having eventually found it I clicked through to the Hyde Park list (missing). I've come across two or three others recently but unfortunately didn't make a note of them and can't recall if they were closed or open.

Anyone else seen this phenomenon?

Dave?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've noticed a few instances recently of pubs not appearing in town and area listings, but existing as an entry and being found by a name search. The example that prompted this thread is a closed pub, the Scottish Queen, which I first sought on the Sheffield list (missing); having eventually found it I clicked through to the Hyde Park list (missing). I've come across two or three others recently but unfortunately didn't make a note of them and can't recall if they were closed or open.

Dave?
    No but you are right. I even tried the 'turn it off and on again' approach - still no luck.

One for Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    No but you are right. I even tried the 'turn it off and on again' approach - still no luck.
    Good to know I wasn't imagining it!
    Come On You Hatters!

Dave?
    It is one that has been 'soft deleted', I'll look into a button to recover such listings where they are useful - as I should've done 4 years ago!

Yes, someone spotted the same glitch in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Yep, I'd completely forgotten about that!

I suppose it's not so much that the listing is useful. The Scottish Queen got a mention on Retired Martin's blog today and I couldn't remember if I'd photographed it or not.
    Come On You Hatters!

There is now a button on the pub page for admins to restore those listings to regular closed pubs that will appear in towns/areas rather than being soft deleted.

I don't know if this one is an example of the same phenomenon: The Derby Arms. It is in Longridge 'served area' but not listed there; it is listed in the postal town of Preston, though. I've tried removing it from the served area and then putting it back in, but this didn't make any difference. What is going on here?

I've just realised what the problem was: looking at the map, this pub is quite a long way out of the small town of Longridge. If you look at the map of the pub locations on the Longridge page, the flag for this pub is missing; it only comes into view if you drag the map downwards on the screen. When the flag appears, the listing amends itself and inserts the pub; if you then refresh the page, the map shifts back and the pub disappears from the list. Simples! (But what's the fix?)
    Come On You Hatters!

Nicely found!

I thought it'd be nice with those pages if the list on the left only shows the pubs currently in view on the map, seemed kind of useful.

Also when the map first loads it does a calculation based on where all the pubs are and decides how far to zoom in, I was never 100% sure that it was going to work properly, but finding an example of it going wrong was difficult. Thank you for finding one!

I have now changed it so that after zooming in it checks that the correct number of pubs are still in view, if not it zooms out slightly.

I have now changed it so that after zooming in it checks that the correct number of pubs are still in view, if not it zooms out slightly.
    Excellent!
    Come On You Hatters!

There is now a button on the pub page for admins to restore those listings to regular closed pubs that will appear in towns/areas rather than being soft deleted.
    Just thought I'd let you know that the Restore button seems to be working ok. Had to use it today to add a photo to Norfolk Arms, which was hidden on the Sheffield list but appeared if I selected Pictureless pubs (weird). I was going to report it as another glitch, but then I saw who had added the pub, and there was the Restore button!
    Come On You Hatters!