Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown 3

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    but it is not an IT problem.
    Given the history of Government IT projects it is the first answer one reaches for.

Need I remind you of the 12 billion pissed away by Blair on the failed NHS system, the failed Home Office scheme for Fire control rooms and many more, DEFRA and farm subsidies, short comings in HMRC systems for post Brexit trade, MOD attempts to write software resulting in aircraft unable to fly, the list goes on and on and on. And the reasons aren't just the usual "Tories helping their friends to help themselves to taxpayers money" scam, incompetence and corruption in the Civil Service doesn't help nor does constantly employing the usual bunch of incompetent serial failures to carry out the work add much. Absolute shower.

Ah, that's better, I do enjoy a good rant, shame I couldn't work the Neo-Pros in too.

PS you might enjoy this from Computer World:

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...disasters.html
    Last edited by oldboots; 12-03-2021 at 09:38.

I've been the Implementation Manager for several Government projects including the Home Office, Office for Criminal Justice Reform and The Highways Agency.

You won't have heard of any of them because they were all implemented successfully.

Not all Government I.T. is crap, you just need to employ the right consultants rather than let civil servants do it.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

There are actually two separate systems running in parallel:
    1) The national system being run centrally by the NHS for the larger vaccination centres which you can book yourself directly once you become eligible.
    2) The local systems being run primary care networks where you usually need to wait until contacted by your doctor's surgery.

Sometimes one option becomes available before the other - there is thus an element postcode lottery and luck involved, but it is not an IT problem.
    That make sense to me. My invitation letter set out exactly those options: to arrange an appointment myself or to wait for my GP to get in touch. I waited about a week and got a slot at a local medical centre, less than a mile from my house. A friend who lives not far from me decided to book his own slot and was directed to a location about four miles from his home.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ah, that's better, I do enjoy a good rant, shame I couldn't work the Neo-Pros in too.
    Start the day as you mean to go on. I'm sure you'll get round to the Neo-Pros in due course.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I think this is a bit unfair.

There are actually two separate systems running in parallel:
    1) The national system being run centrally by the NHS for the larger vaccination centres which you can book yourself directly once you become eligible.
    2) The local systems being run primary care networks where you usually need to wait until contacted by your doctor's surgery.

Sometimes one option becomes available before the other - there is thus an element postcode lottery and luck involved, but it is not an IT problem.
    I think it varies according to where a person lives. I got my invite by SMS with a booking link and about 30 minutes later, I got an appointment for the first and second jabs. My sister's had to stop her chemo so was a priority at 48, getting her first jab some weeks ago, but didn't get an appointment for the second one and is yet to hear when it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I think it varies according to where a person lives. I got my invite by SMS with a booking link and about 30 minutes later, I got an appointment for the first
    That's how it happened for me, I was given the appointment date (May 6th) for the second at the centre when I was jabbed.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    That's how it happened for me, I was given the appointment date (May 6th) for the second at the centre when I was jabbed.
    Ah no. I meant that I got a text with both dates. So I'm having my first on Sunday at 11.15 and then the second on 30th May at 11.15, all booked well in advance so I can plan my hectic social life around it.

I had heard from someone else that they got the second date at their first jab, so it must vary around the country.

I had heard from someone else that they got the second date at their first jab, so it must vary around the country.
    That's what I meant.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I had a text from a body covering practices in a reasonably-sized area, quickly and easily booked the first jab locally which was efficiently performed, but for the second jab "we will be in touch in due course", so yes, it does seem to vary a lot.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Ah no. I meant that I got a text with both dates. So I'm having my first on Sunday at 11.15 and then the second on 30th May at 11.15, all booked well in advance so I can plan my hectic social life around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I had a text from a body covering practices in a reasonably-sized area, quickly and easily booked the first jab locally which was efficiently performed, but for the second jab "we will be in touch in due course", so yes, it does seem to vary a lot.
    I had to book my second one when I booked the first one on-line, Mrs B was told we'll let you know.