Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pub Of The Month - December 2020

Default Pub Of The Month - December 2020

I didn't get to any, substantial meal or not. I assume some managed to?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I managed 12 pub visits in December before coming abruptly to a halt on the 24th , all to Novembers POTM The Alfred
    So for the second month in a row by default ....
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

One of the rare pub visits in December ,and my last serious session but memorable none the less

Fox & Hounds

Their Covid responce was terrific,large outside space under a huge awning,space heaters,social distancing observed,top quality pizzas as the substantial meal,swift table service and a three hour window to sup some quality ale between bites. Surprisingly not that busy and a relaxed vibe,well done to everyone involved.A second wonderful pub in the Reading area.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Not many to choose from but POTM goes to The Ship, Brancaster.

An excellent, safe and common sense Covid policy which included providing one of the best scotch eggs I've had washed down with very well kept Adnams Ghost Ship.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

I managed three pub visits in December when a trip to Scotland (with a justified reason) was cancelled midway when the regulations changed and made it illegal to come back. I broke my train journey in Warrington - where the walk from Warrington Central to Bank Quay station took me through the town with time for a jacket potato and a pint at the Blue Bell - and overnight in Carlisle - where I had an evening meal and a drink or two at the Beehive, almost opposite Carlisle United's Brunton Park. Both new pub ticks for me, but they wouldn't have made it onto this thread, as neither of them was any better or worse than the other.

I changed my journey back to Sheffield by going via Settle, with a break in journey justified (as far as I was concerned, anyway) on the basis that it's a long way from Carlisle to Leeds - four hours plus with a mask on is too much for me. So I went for lunch at the Talbot Arms, which is one of my favourite pubs, though I've never eaten there before. I had a felafel burger and chips, and sent my compliments to the chef with regard to the latter. The beer was top notch too - Hetton Pale 4.2% from local Dark Horse brewery with my meal, and a beautiful dark one, Wishbone Abyss 4.3% from Keighley. Service was friendly and welcoming, and the atmosphere relaxed (while maintaining Covid safety, of course). Can't wait to get back there again.
    Come On You Hatters!