Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year 2020

Default Worst Pub of the Year 2020

Not much competition for my worst pub visit of 2020:

Small Beer, Crouch End, London N8

This shop conversion has been a pub for quite some time, so doesn't belong to the recent trend for micropubs. It's fairly small, dim and grungy, with a bar in the dimmer recesses of the rear of the single room. There are four hand pumps, with nothing I liked the look of, so I perused the keg options, plumping for a wheat beer from The Kernel, a brewery whose bottled ales I occasionally pick up from shops in Sheffield but whose kegged versions I had yet to try. Well, it was cold, fizzy and lacking in anything interesting by way of flavour; what was I expecting?

What else can I say about Small Beer? As well as being dark, minimalist, uninviting, with bare brick walls and challenging background music, it has the worst pub toilets I have ever used. The urinals were made out of some sort of metal boxes - taking a pee was like putting your most vulnerable fleshy parts into a letter box; and you can imagine how difficult it must be to clean something like that. The solution (it's so obvious, really): let's not bother! Seriously, these toilets have *never* been cleaned.

rating: 1 (but only because negative ratings are not available).
    Come On You Hatters!

For me it has to be The Red Lion. To be fair some of its short comings were probably covid related but that doesn't excuse poor service and poorly kept beer. I was expecting a lot from this pub but was left very disappointed.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

The pubs which got a '3' and probably quite optimistically given the lack of choice:

The Blind Beggar
    Boston Arms
    Duke of Wellington
    Good Samaritan
    The Leinster Arms
    The Weavers Arms

But the award for Worst Pub of the Year 2020 goes to:

People's Park Tavern

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

I couldn’t get out of the Lord Warden fast enough back in March. Sad to think it was my last tick before Covid lockdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    But the award for Worst Pub of the Year 2020 goes to:

People's Park Tavern
    I've been mostly avoiding posting reviews of pubs during the covid restrictions as it's difficult to get a good impression of a pub's atmosphere, facilities and service when things are so abnormal. To be fair, though, "a semi-industrial pub with exposed air handling vents with ductwork and dark gloomy interior, all of which looks like a Goth pub that would be more at home in Camden Town" doesn't sound like a place I'd be dropping everything to visit when things improve, anyway.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    I couldn’t get out of the Lord Warden fast enough back in March. Sad to think it was my last tick before Covid lockdowns.
    Horrendous! Bad luck.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Over the summer I tended to judge pubs on how safe we felt. But being that as it may, if it quacks like a duck blah blah you'd think it is indeed a (fuzzy) duck. So I'm not impressed when we roll up expecting to enjoy a pint in their garden to be told they "don't take walk-ins". Despite said walk-ins would have doubled the number of customers. And the couple who pulled up in the car park just after us who were also told to sod themselves would have trebled it.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 02-01-2021 at 20:05.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Not much competition for my worst pub visit of 2020:

Small Beer, Crouch End, London N8

This shop conversion has been a pub for quite some time, so doesn't belong to the recent trend for micropubs. It's fairly small, dim and grungy, with a bar in the dimmer recesses of the rear of the single room. There are four hand pumps, with nothing I liked the look of, so I perused the keg options, plumping for a wheat beer from The Kernel, a brewery whose bottled ales I occasionally pick up from shops in Sheffield but whose kegged versions I had yet to try. Well, it was cold, fizzy and lacking in anything interesting by way of flavour; what was I expecting?

What else can I say about Small Beer? As well as being dark, minimalist, uninviting, with bare brick walls and challenging background music, it has the worst pub toilets I have ever used. The urinals were made out of some sort of metal boxes - taking a pee was like putting your most vulnerable fleshy parts into a letter box; and you can imagine how difficult it must be to clean something like that. The solution (it's so obvious, really): let's not bother! Seriously, these toilets have *never* been cleaned.

rating: 1 (but only because negative ratings are not available).
    I liked it and gave it a 7 .Didn't post anything in the letterbox though.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    For me it has to be The Red Lion. To be fair some of its short comings were probably covid related but that doesn't excuse poor service and poorly kept beer. I was expecting a lot from this pub but was left very disappointed.
    I reviewed it 7 years before you and the beer and staff attitude seems similar.

My worst pub this year has to be The Watersplash in St Ouen's Bay, Jersey - a beach-side pub/creche hybrid with excellent views of the sea wall, but not of the sea!