Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Worst Pub of the Year 2020

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    For me it has to be The Red Lion.
    I was very pleased to find this years back and was sufficiently impressed to recommend it to friends as a good pre-match venue for either Twickenham or Harlequins, avoiding the rammed pubs near the grounds, but more recent visits (though not at all recent) saw huge and continuing demise and my last attempt suggested it may be... my last.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I have been to so few pubs in 2020 that I cannot name a worst so, if it's ok, I'll put a previous favourite, the Crown, in the dock. Visited twice in 2019 it has fallen off a cliff since changing hands with the new owner selling out (to the likes of guinness) and installing huge and awful bar fonts in place of most of the real ale pumps, now numbering 4/5 instead of the previous 16. I visited on a Saturday evening and, months later, a Sunday lunch, and was the solitary customer on both occasions, staying only for a half, such was my distress. Gone is the beer, gone are the chatty regulars who made standing at the bar so enjoyable and, I guess pretty soon, gone will be the Crown, RIP...

Crown.jpgCrown1.jpg

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    This pub certainly seems to have changed since my 2017 visit, I gave it an 8 at the time, you managed to give it a super scroogie 1 a couple of years later.
    Yeah. I always give a new pub a five-minute window to get recognition. Not service as of course pubs can be very busy, rather pubs where the staff can't be bothered to serve you. This pub got '1' as it was being locked up an hour before the stated closing time, causing me a wasted journey. Once the five minutes are up, I walk with '1' being the default score. The worst - though not rudest - service I ever encountered was in The Oxford Retreat where three staff were just pottering about doing nothing. I got chatting to a bloke and his girlfriend who were down for the day from Liverpool and a swift one for the journey home (it's opposite the railway station. We passed it in 2016, fortunately) and he told me he'd been at the bar for 10 minutes, so 15 when I walked; perhaps he's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I use the good offices of Pubsgalore to avoid visiting dire pubs but this place was the worst in 2020 according to my ratings.
    I also use this almanac but occasionally slip up, probably due to alterations made a few years after the previous reviews so People's Park Tavern was my worst POTY 2020. Duke of Wellington probably comes second.