Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best pubs visited in 2020

This Space For Hire

Best score I gave in this restricted year was an 8 and at least four pubs got it.
    Kraft Beer Mayfair got the vote due to the stunning setting in an old church.
    Praise the Lord! I have been converted.

Considering I visited a Sheffield United-esque record-low 14 new visits in 2020, the field is pretty spartan. The below were the highlights:

The Faltering Fullback, London, N4 – pub that has appeared on several 'Yet Another List' PuG lists of London boozers, so finally managed make a visit in the February of last year.
    The Vat & Fiddle, Nottingham – Castle Rock tap just outside the main city centre that had a superb array of ales on tap. I could have stayed here for hours.
    The Horse & Cart, Peasmarsh, East Sussex – not a world-beater, but a warm welcome and well-kept local ales made a weekend-away Sunday afternoon more than pleasant.
    Waterworks, Rye – quirky micropub located in former public conveniences, with an array of bric-a-brac all for sale. Interesting local ale selection and pleasingly busy on a weeknight stopover in this charming East Sussex harbour town.

POTY: Beacon Hotel, Sedgley – I'm a sucker for a Heritage pub and a business meeting in nearby Wolves gave me the opportunity to pay this pub a visit for a swift lunchtime half (of Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild nonetheless). Multi-rooms, serving hatches, muzak-free and quality beer served in dimpled jugs; marvellous.
    Last edited by Komakino; 08-01-2021 at 10:02.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    The Faltering Fullback, London, N4 – pub that has appeared on several 'Yet Another List' PuG lists of London boozers, so finally managed make a visit in the February of last year.
    February probably not the best time of year to appreciate the pub's famous 'Ewok Village' beer garden?

Halfway House Consistently brilliant. Excellent home-cooked food, first class ales, good company and no nonsense. Sensible approach while obeying the covid rules. Can't wait for it to reopen.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Halfway House Consistently brilliant. Excellent home-cooked food, first class ales, good company and no nonsense. Sensible approach while obeying the covid rules. Can't wait for it to reopen.
    I could well agree about the Halfway House, but this one!

This Space For Hire

Magic Rock Tap - Huddersfield, on the first weekend in January. Our usual post-family-Christmas lads trip away for the FA Cup third round. Excellent beer from a company I've since supported through these illiberal times, with proper American-style burgers from the van outside to accompany.

Other honourable mentions to Lytham's Craft House, the Grocers in Irlam, Hope&Union in Stockton, and the York Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I could well agree about the Halfway House, but this one!
    Agreed!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Favourite new ticks this year:
    The Ackhorne - friendly, common sense approach to Covid, warm cosy atmosphere, great beer.
    Cafe Rene - I always love finding somewhere totally unique, especially when the beer is good. It was very hard to leave.
    Cheshire Lines Inn - the pub is nothing spectacular, but it was my first pub after lockdown 1. A few hours sat in the snug with very chatty regulars, it reminded me of everything I had missed in the preceding months.
    Colonel Porter’s Emporium - last pub of my first visit to Newcastle- another one that was very hard to leave for its unique atmosphere. And free popcorn!
    Crown Posada - just a perfect classic pub, in every possible way. Let’s hope it gets back on its feet soon.

Real Ale Drinker

Like everyone else not a lot of new pubs this year but the best was The Little Taproom- Aigburth, Liverpool. Pleasant little micro which, unfortunately for them, opened just over a week or so before lockdown in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Like everyone else not a lot of new pubs this year but the best was The Little Taproom- Aigburth, Liverpool. Pleasant little micro which, unfortunately for them, opened just over a week or so before lockdown in March.
    similar story with my selection The Angry Parrot
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"