Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Signs sought

Teetotal

Default Cricket Signs sought

I am researching material for a book on pubs with cricket connections. I am not actively seeking further examples of signs of The Cricketers or The Cricketers Arms, but would not turn any such down! I seek less obvious names such as The Priory at Hastings which referred to the eponymous cricket ground, now redeveloped as the Priory Meadow Shopping Centre. Any relevant local info regarding the sign would be appreciated.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Considered these?

How about Thomas Lord at West Meon? Named after the founder of the cricket ground, no connection to the area that I know of

And the Bat & Ball at Hambledon? Birthplace of cricket & pub is opposite the ground, loads of cricket items inside

Administrator

Default Some thoughts

I have been trying to remember some of the cricket related pub signs I've seen appearing on this site. The only ones I can think of so far are:-

The Long Hop in Meopham which I think is one of the more impressive pub signs I've seen.
    Grace's in SE20
    The Ashes in Maidstone
    Three Willows in Birchanger

Also thought I'd add links for the 2 good suggestions from Farway, the Thomas Lord and the Bat & Ball

Dave

Teetotal

Default Cricket Signs

Re: The Thomas Lord at Great Meon, Hampshire

Faraway - TFYR. The reason for this pub's name is because Thomas Lord retired to West Meon where he took a farm. He was buried in the local churchyard

Thumbs up Cheers ACOL

Thanks for the update on Thomas Lord burial, I learn something new everyday

Next time I'm over there I may just have a search for the grave

Teetotal

I'd really appreciate a copy of the sign, the pub and the grave (if you find it!)please - if you are going that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Acol View Post
    I'd really appreciate a copy of the sign, the pub and the grave (if you find it!)please - if you are going that way!
    Ok, no promises but I will do my best, don't hold your breath though as I am a bit busy at present

As the Bat & Ball is on the way there I will get that as well whilst I am at it

Now I have an excuse to have a pint, cheers

Teetotal

Cheers - that wil be much appreciated

This Space For Hire

Default More cricket

Can I offer you the Burn Bullock at Mitcham (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35994/) - once upon a time the Kings Head but renamed long ago after Burnett Bullock - a Surrey cricketer of the 1920's who was evidently landlord from 1941-54 and arranged various matches on the cricket field opposite.

Thumbs up Thomas Lord & Bat Ball pics ready

Hi Acol

At last got the pics you requested, have uploaded small versions on Pubs Galore and sent you a PM regarding forwarding to you