Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bar Flies

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    JDWs is no different to other pubs in having nicotine bouncers.
    Not sure about that - the prevalence of jdw high street locations often means they are out front, rather than than out back as could be the case elsewhere. It wasn't an issue, of course, when they first adopted such premises.

Bar flies can be annoying for all the reasons mentioned but there have been many times when a struggle at the bar breaks the ice and I have ended up spending half the night chatting to the locals as a result.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I do think there should be some way of requiring the smokers to move away from the entrance, apart from the fact they block the doors, it can also give the wrong impression to the occasional visitor. In similar vein, it irritates me where smokers stand just outside yet continue to chat to friends inside through those folding windows or doors, with the result that the smoke just drifts or blows back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I do think there should be some way of requiring the smokers to move away from the entrance, apart from the fact they block the doors, it can also give the wrong impression to the occasional visitor. In similar vein, it irritates me where smokers stand just outside yet continue to chat to friends inside through those folding windows or doors, with the result that the smoke just drifts or blows back in.
    ...and they mess up photos!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    ...and they mess up photos!
    Agree with that, but on a positive note the resulting photo does give a good "bad" impression of the pub IYSWIM, so a casual visitor will know they may have to run the nicotine gauntlett

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Watch people and you will see some like to congregate at choke points and look amazed when you ask to come past..
    The worst place for that is the Underground, especially at this time of year. West End stations in the evening rush hour are the worst, gaggles of tourists get to the bottom of the escalators then stop dead to hold a conference on where to go next, oblivious to the two or three hundred people a minute barrelling down behind them. Sometimes you have to shout or push through them to avoid getting trampled to death yourself.

Having a smoking area out the back makes no difference to some smokers. I suppose there is more chance of you seeing friends pass by if you are stood in the street. Any outside area, front , back or top of the pub is now used for smoking. Perhaps tunneling your way in is the answer to the doorway smoker.

Completely my personal opinion, but the mess left by smokers with fag butts in the plants, just tossed on the lawn or thrown out onto the street in front of the pub does smokers no favours to a non-smoker
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Thats one reason the Government announced back in February are proposing too change smoking rules to ban smoking within I think it was 10 meters of any public door way too stop Office workers Pub goers Etc blocking doorways. whether this gov will carry it though I don't know But it was proposed back in February.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Completely my personal opinion, but the mess left by smokers with fag butts in the plants, just tossed on the lawn or thrown out onto the street in front of the pub does smokers no favours to a non-smoker
    I've never understood why butts aren't viewed the same way as other litter - people are frowned upon by the geenral public if they chuck down kebab wrappers, tin cans, chocolate papers and so on, so why is it acceptable to throw down fag-ends?