Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bar Flies

Butts have now made many outside sitting areas at pubs look like rubbish tips. Because they are outside some smokers simply throw away the still smouldering butt making no effort to put it out in an ash tray. On windy days the simple open ashtray is self cleaning but few of the butts get cleaned up. The ground around so many pubs remind me of the popular beaches in Florida which, because of endangered turtles laying eggs, are never cleaned. I do not know of any pub in the UK having that problem preventing the grounds from being kept clean.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It really is the negative side of the smoking ban, I hate running the smoke gauntlet when going into a pub. Also one of our local pubs spills out onto a pavement that is way too narrow and the smokers don't get out of your way despite it being an 'A' road they are trying to force you to walk on (can't think where I get the opinion that most smokers are selfish ****s).

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I've never understood why butts aren't viewed the same way as other litter - people are frowned upon by the general public if they chuck down kebab wrappers, tin cans, chocolate papers and so on, so why is it acceptable to throw down fag-ends?
    They are enforced By some council wardens Three of Our tube staff at work have been fine £50 each on the spot so far this year for throwing there fag buts on the floor outside the tube station after going outside for A quick fag. They had a good old argument and with the council official and they all tried the old argument its not council property its part of London underground but it did not wash they still got a fine.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 09-08-2010 at 17:42.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Being a smoker myself I would just like to mention how annoying it is when people put folded up crisp packets in the ash tray and as an ex barman I would also like to mention how annoying it is collecting glasses that have folded up crisp packets pushed into them. I think that there should be a designated crisp eating area 10 metres from the property and signs should be erected stating 'IT IS ILLEGAL TO EAT CRISPS IN THESE PREMISES'.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I've never understood why butts aren't viewed the same way as other litter - people are frowned upon by the geenral public if they chuck down kebab wrappers, tin cans, chocolate papers and so on, so why is it acceptable to throw down fag-ends?
    Our local cop shop had loads of fag ends around the entrance, obviously chucked there by plod & co. I was going to photograph it & send to local rag, but the bu66ers cleared it all up before I had a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Being a smoker myself I would just like to mention how annoying it is when people put folded up crisp packets in the ash tray and as an ex barman I would also like to mention how annoying it is collecting glasses that have folded up crisp packets pushed into them. I think that there should be a designated crisp eating area 10 metres from the property and signs should be erected stating 'IT IS ILLEGAL TO EAT CRISPS IN THESE PREMISES'.
    From a 'behind the bar' view, the worst thing to put in an ashtray is ice. No need. Especially as now its all outside, feel free to put the ice on the flowerbeds if you really don't want it!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Bet the tube workers were not young. Wonder if they had got an on the spot fine if they were 19 year olds dropping a Carling can.

Got annoyed by a youth leaning on the litter bin at a bus stop swigging from a can, and when he had finished he chucked it over a hedge into someones garden. The rest of his group were no better.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Bet the tube workers were not young. Wonder if they had got an on the spot fine if they were 19 year olds dropping a Carling can.

Got annoyed by a youth leaning on the litter bin at a bus stop swigging from a can, and when he had finished he chucked it over a hedge into someones garden. The rest of his group were no better.
    I had a go at a teenager I saw doing that once - he gave me a mouthful of abuse initially, but to his credit he saw my point and politely agreed to pick up the offending can and place it in the bin by the bus stop 20 yards away.

I got a bollocking off Mrs A who said I was taking a risk - he could have had a knife, been on drugs or, as she correctly pointed out, his 3 mates could have backed him up (although as I pointed out, they were too busy checking their phones for texts, shoes for scuffs and the sky for apporoaching asteroids). She was rigth of course (isn't she always?), but I do think it's a sad situation where we as a society have to carry out a risk assessment before asking someone to remove their litter.