Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supermarkets closing pubs down

I'll stay on me own

Default Supermarkets closing pubs down

I know of three pubs that Tesco have closed down or demolished and also one that Asda have pulled down and this is just in my local area.
    I wondered if this is happening across the country.

Yes that is happening to a pub near me in Bristol.

Tesco have planning permission to turn what was the beer garden on the Friendship Inn into a car park - but the council are being stubborn and refusing permission for signage and a cash machine.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Not round here, but maybe it would be a blessing to have a Tesco etc in their place for some pubs?

In my area there is a council [or is that "social housing"?] estate where the grotty pub is now closed, I would think the residents would be more than happy for a Tesco with lower grocery prices & no travel costs, to replace it

Not all pubs /shops / local butchers etc are Heaven sent and a drinker's /shopper's paradise, some are the pits and deserve to fail

I'll stay on me own

If you look on pubs galore i have reviewed the Windsor Castle in Carlton Tesco want to pull this smart pub down to make a bigger car park.
    They also pulled the Cow down in Beeston which was a very old pub and they converted the White Cow in Ilkeston into a tesco express.
    I appreciate that some rubbish pubs are probably better closed,but i always think if its still standing a decent landlord might bring in a decent crowd of customers and bring the pub back up to a decent level or am i living in hope.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

The Joker in Hamstead (B'ham) has just been converted to a Tesco Express and a pub in Aldridge was closed due to the kids drinking the beer, fortunately, they havent sufferes as the knocked it down and opened a Tesco on the same spot, selling the same kids, cheaper booze - you can't make it up, can you?
    MILD:

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Champion Jockey in Donnington(Telford) is now a Netto
    The Thomas Telford in Leegomery is now a whole row of shops
    On a slightly different tack the Shropshire Lad in Malinslee was demolished to make way for a medical centre
    The Charlton in Oakengates was demolished for a Vets
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    The Joker in Hamstead (B'ham) has just been converted to a Tesco Express and a pub in Aldridge was closed due to the kids drinking the beer, fortunately, they havent sufferes as the knocked it down and opened a Tesco on the same spot, selling the same kids, cheaper booze - you can't make it up, can you?
    The Joker is one of the few pubs in that area that I know of, its not to far from the sis-in-laws. Saying it had a bad name would be an understatement,.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I suppose the worse a pub is failing, the easier it would be for a supermarket to buy them out for 'redevelopment'. Many such pubs need to try quite a lot harder to justify existence, but any that are healthy community pubs should be awarded protection from the planners.

Rose&Crown, Crown Point, is surrounded by hoardings and allegedly due to become a(nother) Tesco Express. The area already has a convenience store a few yards down the road and 3 Supermarkets (incl Tesco Express at what used to be Jack Stamps) 2 bus stops away in W.Norwood. I've written to jdw asking them whether they had looked at the property - the area is desperate for a decent real ale outlet.

I find these 'Express' & 'Local' stores pretty awful - the choice is usually poor, though I'm lucky to have a pretty good local corner shop down the road.

Thanks Trainman for the update on the increasingly dire prospects for drinking in West Norwood. I imagine The Hope is still the best bet. The Tesco/Jack Stamp used to be a decent Allied Breweries (Ind Coope) pub called The Thurlow Arms when I lived there.

We've lost the Toby Jug at the Tolworth roundabout on the A3, and I gather Tesco want to open a supermarket on its site, combined with the site of the now also demolished Government buildings there. With the Red Lion also gone, there is now no pub in Tolworth.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I imagine The Hope is still the best bet. The Tesco/Jack Stamp used to be a decent Allied Breweries (Ind Coope) pub called The Thurlow Arms when I lived there.
    Yes, though I only pop in occasionally, Youngs & all that, though they did have a Titanic guest earlier in the year - Iceberg, I think, at reduced price.
    Thurlow had a poor reputation (dodgy clientele) before it closed, Jack Stamps had a jdw-style customer base, but was cheap & ok, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    , there is now no pub in ....
    A grim start to a sentence for any village/town/district...