Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Off licence

Teetotal

Default Off licence

I know its not pubs, but I bought 3 bottles of bottle conditioned ale from my local offy last week, and the 1st bottle was off. I lobbed it down the sink and tried the 2nd bottle. Same. So I didn't bother with the 3rd. A couple of days later I was off to get some more beer I took the 3 bottles with me expecting a refund. I was shocked when they said that they couldn't give me a refund without the beer! They claimed that they had to send the beer back to the supplier who would test it to see what was wrong with it! I can see that some people might try to pull a fast one, but I have been using this offy regularly for 15 years and never taken anything back. Does anyone know what your legal rights are regarding off beer? I know its only a few quid, but I was stunned by the reaction of the shop owner. I just walked out leaving my new purchases behind plus my unopened bottle of off beer which I presume they stuck back on the shelf.

Did you Notice whether or not it was past is sell by date because if it was it should be changed immediately without fuss. Ive taken bottles back too Tescos & Asda which when I opened found off Or tainted poured what was left back in bottles took them back along with the Rest of the box and they were changed Immediately. in fact the manager at the Tescos opened another bottle from the same batch off the shelf in stock found it off and order the staff to remover all the remaining Bottles from that batch.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 17-08-2010 at 12:10.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Teetotal

I checked the date and it was October 2010 - so in date. I notice that in your returns you did actually return the ale back to the bottle - which is what the shopkeeper said that I should have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dodge View Post
    I know its not pubs...
    ...but if CAMRA can include an off-licence in GBG, why shouldn't you post about them on here? It is after all a beer related matter which is of interest to many of us, I suspect.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I never buy beer from an Off licence, couple of reasons, none near me is main one, by time I have traveled to nearest one I may as well go the extra half mile to Asda etc, where I know I can get what I want at price I want. Plus of course the "no quibble" promise, which I have not had to do on beer, but have done on cheese, in date and manky, changed as expected without quibble

Before my local Thresher's closed it never had much of a range, just same old tins I can buy at any Co-op etc
    Last edited by Farway; 17-08-2010 at 14:12.