Visit The Good Beer Hunting site

These are the words, images, and beers that inspired the GBH Collective this week. Drinking alone just got better, because now you’re drinking with all of us.
ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ READ.// “Game shows are supposed to be an escape. They’re supposed to be a moment where you can just check out and live in a fantasy world and engage with the game material and scream at the contestant for not putting enough turkeys in their cart.” I love game shows and I love the supermarket. A new reboot of “Supermarket Sweep” began airing on ABC a few days ago—it’s both wildly nostalgic and punched up in new ways for a modern audience (I mean, in the ’90s, the prize money was $5,000. In this iteration, folks can win up to $100,000). It’s funny watching “Supermarket Sweep” now, when a trip to the grocery store is often painted as a banal chore, a necessity of modern existence. In this show, it’s a glorified celebration. Also, they kept the iconic sweatshirts.
LOOK.// Speaking of warm layers, David Ruprecht, the former host of “Supermarket Sweep,” had a fondness for wild sweaters. Over the years, the internet has compiled and memorialized his epic collection.
DRINK.// Ørkenoy’s Cole Thumper Rye With Figs & Toasted Fennel
I dreamed of sipping this beer on a cool, crisp, 50-degree day, in an acceptance of fall’s presence that I usually fight off for as long as possible. But wouldn’t you know it that the day I finally decided to pop it open, Chicago boasted a 70-degree afternoon? I have to assume someone finally listened to my complaints that fall is dumb and it should be summer forever. This beer still slaps, whatever the temperature.
SAMER KHUDAIRIREAD.// “Sin is not Always a Matter of Scale or Intention: Neither is Racism” is a subhead to Dr. J Nikol Jackson-Beckham’s 2013 Medium piece, “Upgrading to Racism 2.0: Lessons from Christian Perspectives on Sin.” Using terms such as “racist” and “racism” can foster immediate defensiveness in our current discourse that can actually stifle progress and learning. Understanding that, like sin, we are all capable of demonstrating racist behavior, can help drive some of these conversations.
LOOK.// Golden hour, soft pastels, and food photography. These mise-en-place picnics from Jill Burrow are magical. Take a break from doomscrolling and enjoy some of these edible interventions.
DRINK.// Remnant Brewing x Heaney Brewing’s Guerilla Radio
In-person, cross-continental beer collaborations are harder to come by these days, so I didn’t hesitate to grab this Saison by Aiden Cox of Northern Ireland’s Heaney Brewery and Charlie Cummings, head brewer at Remnant Brewing. The two are former co-workers who both share a love for local ingredients and Rage Against the Machine. This Saison is made with hand-harvested coriander from Massachusetts and aroma hops that were grown in Charlie's backyard. What better place than here, what better time than now?
EVAN RAIL READ.// “‘Something’s happened to them.’ Yes. Something in the new language. New thinking. They were signifying now—there, elision, slippage between word and referent, with which they could play. They had room to think new conceptions.” Until I picked up “Embassytown,” I had never read a fictional book about language itself, how it works, and what it means, let alone one set among alien creatures on a faraway planet. I finished this on Election Night, and—no exaggeration—I’m sure I’ll be thinking about it for years to come.
LOOK.// It’s easy to admire Baroque and Gothic buildings when you live in a city like Prague, but quirky 20th-century architecture steals my heart. This article on the new book from Adam Štěch shows off some of the roughly 900 modern buildings he photographed around the world, from Montevideo to Lake Como. Beautiful and weird.
DRINK.// Kyrö Malt Rye WhiskyKyrö Malt Rye Whisky is a fine sip for the cooler autumn evenings we’re having here lately. Made in Finland from 100% malted rye, and pot-distilled, it’s like a sophisticated and slightly weird (but still cool) European cousin to the generally column-distilled, generally unmalted rye whiskies—usually with just over 50% rye content—that hail from the States. As a result, it's a lot smoother than something like Old Overholt, but with more notes of dark rye bread and just a touch of earthy funk.
Curated by
The GBH Collective

More...