Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown 2

It's an impossible task for any government and, as Tris C has pointed out, I'm not convinced that the most recent alternative - Mr Corbyn - would have done any better. Or Sir Keir Haircut or indeed any practising politician.

Having said that, I'm frustrated and angry at how pubs are being treated given that the evidence seems to suggest that they are not spreading hot spots. Anecdotally, everywhere I've been has been well managed but then I don't tend to be a town centre goer on weekend nights.

What I am surprised about is that this government, or indeed any government, has managed to nationalise personal responsibility and risk management.

Selfishly I'm praying that we're in Tier 1 as I'm very much missing the pub. I would also far rather cancel Christmas and open pubs.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I don't tend to be a town centre goer on weekend nights.
    Where you get carry-ons like this

One can only hope the one-hour drinking-up time tempers things somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

One can only hope the one-hour drinking-up time tempers things somewhat
    Ah you can't beat a good old tabloid moral panic, crowds are an entirely predictable consequence of this absolute shower's PPP response.

Central Coventry may not go into T2 or 3 judging by the map and falling infection rate, looks like the revellers came from the outskirts or further away Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	2507

I'm frustrated and angry at how pubs are being treated given that the evidence seems to suggest that they are not spreading hot spots. Anecdotally, everywhere I've been has been well managed but then I don't tend to be a town centre goer on weekend nights.
    I'm with you there. What they need to do is just open up the "old men pubs" - if they need a definition, they could just ask my younger daughter.

What I am surprised about is that this government, or indeed any government, has managed to nationalise personal responsibility and risk management.
    Has it been nationalised? I thought it had been delegated to the general population.

Selfishly I'm praying that we're in Tier 1 as I'm very much missing the pub. I would also far rather cancel Christmas and open pubs.
    I'm afraid that we're in a minority on that one.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I would also far rather cancel Christmas and open pubs.
    Yes. Permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Before the pubs closed, I regularly counted 70+ gatherings outside my local, but the crowd was well behaved. Walking through Broadway Market the other night, which is usually packed in normal times, but the other night there was a large police presence and they were telling all the take-aways and offies that they wouldn't be allowed to sell alcohol after 9.30.

This Space For Hire

It's an impossible task for any government and, as Tris C has pointed out, I'm not convinced that the most recent alternative - Mr Corbyn - would have done any better. Or Sir Keir Haircut or indeed any practising politician.
    I was listening to the PM programme on Radio 4 the other week and they had correspondents calling in from various major European capitals who reported that the public seems to think that their governments are doing a poor job too. The problem is that with something new, there's no map to call on meaning that improvisation is usually the way ahead.
    In Scotland there seems to be a firm belief that the Och Yes Monster is doing a great job compared to England, but they fail to appreciate that Scotland has a tenth of the population and has a considerably lower population density; smaller populations produce fewer infections/deaths and a lower population density makes transmission harder.

At least we aren't France!
    Last edited by Tris39; 24-11-2020 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    ...but they fail to appreciate that Scotland has a tenth of the population and has a considerably lower population density; smaller populations produce fewer infections/deaths and a lower population density makes transmission harder.
    Apart from the central belt and parts of the east coast which have population densities like England, these areas seem to be in a similar pickle to England, especially round Glasgow, for the reason you give.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    At least we aren't France!
    France is a different country, I went to a meeting in Paris where the room we had booked was occupied, our French colleagues chucked the interlopers out with treats of extreme violence and Gallic swearing, I wonder why Scotland and France have the "Auld Alliance"?

This Space For Hire

There is a petition here fromn Greg Mulholland & co appealing for government support for pubs. Signed, although I won't be holding my breath waiting for a positive response.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

I'm afraid that we're in a minority on that one.
    I don't mind Christmas - lots of good food and plenty to drink - but pubs are for life........

Humbug!
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    There is a petition here fromn Greg Mulholland & co appealing for government support for pubs. Signed, although I won't be holding my breath waiting for a positive response.
    Be aware!!! Just signed it and have already received two emails from them asking for more. Instant spam generator.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 25-11-2020 at 11:53.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas