Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown 2

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    If you offered me a choice between a known virus and a rushed, unknown vaccine I'd take the first option.

No matter how many scientists were on the case, long term effects of meddling with cells' DNA could be extremely problematic. I think the analogy used is that nine women can't make a baby in one month.
    My understanding is that with an inoculation, any side-effects are evidenced within a few days with no long-term problems. Luckily for you, around 30m people will have got the jab before your number comes up, so if by then the country's older population resemble extras from 28 Days Later, you'll have ample warning as it will probably take a couple of years to get everyone seen to, especially with this super-chilled, immovable German/US product. If the OU/AstraZeneca jab comes up trumps, it'll be a lot sooner.
    However, I certainly wouldn't want that Russian Novichok stuff...
    Last edited by Tris39; 03-12-2020 at 18:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    ... so if by then the country's older population resemble extras from 28 Days Later, you'll have ample warning as it will probably take a couple of years to get everyone seen to, ...
    If we're unlucky it could be:-

zombies.jpg

Being an old git I'm nearer to the top of the list and will be getting "seen to".

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    OK, I give up, you'll have to tell me. Which one is you?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Being an old git I'm nearer to the top of the list and will be getting "seen to".
    With the exception of the bus pass, this will be the only advantage so far of reaching advanced age.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    My understanding is that with an inoculation, any side-effects are evidenced within a few days with no long-term problems. Luckily for you, around 30m people will have got the jab before your number comes up, so if by then the country's older population resemble extras from 28 Days Later, you'll have ample warning as it will probably take a couple of years to get everyone seen to, especially with this super-chilled, immovable German/US product. If the OU/AstraZeneca jab comes up trumps, it'll be a lot sooner.
    However, I certainly wouldn't want that Russian Novichok stuff...
    We'll only know about long term problems when the long term arrives, eg narcolepsy from the swine flu Pandemrix, thalidomide, etc.

At least they're advising women likely to become pregnant to avoid this thing.

And will they be keeping a tally of those who die within 28 days of the vaccine?

And will they be keeping a tally of those who die within 28 days of the vaccine?
    Seems like you've made up your mind about this.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Seems like you've made up your mind about this.
    Pretty much.

What do you trust most: rhetoric from a government with a high rate of failed judgment, or normal regulatory procedures?

This Space For Hire

We'll only know about long term problems when the long term arrives, eg narcolepsy from the swine flu Pandemrix, thalidomide, etc.

At least they're advising women likely to become pregnant to avoid this thing.

I would expect that one of the most important tallies to take would be monitoring the deaths of anyone dying from the plague 28 days later - or even earlier - after being inoculated; surely this would be the most important thing to do.
    I would imagine that any serious side effects would have shown up in the tens-of-thousands of volunteers who took it in the pre-approval stage. Thalidomide (Distaval) was a drug taken for a relatively long period (rather than a one-off) and not an inoculation, though of course the side effects were terrible. With regard to pregnant women, I imagine that most are probably relatively healthy and certainly relatively young and therefore at a lower risk; there are quite a few vaccines women shouldn't take during pregnancy and I had a girlfriend in the mid-'90s (she's now 55) who couldn't take the flu vaccine because it's made of eggs, to which she has an allergic reaction. Whilst on the subject, I received a text from my doctors' surgery a couple of days ago stating that I should come for a flu jab, as I'm now classified as being 'old'.

What I'm more concerned about is if the inoculation is really effective and that COVID-19 doesn't mutate and acquire immunity from the jab. And as for the risks of getting narcolepsy, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    Last edited by Tris39; 03-12-2020 at 19:14.

This Space For Hire

Pretty much.

What do you trust most: rhetoric from a government with a high rate of failed judgment, or normal regulatory procedures?
    Normal regulatory procedures. c/o the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-for-covid-19
    Last edited by NickDavies; 03-12-2020 at 19:53.

I would try to separate the rhetoric, which is coming from the single functioning brain cell that Hancock and Williamson take it in turns to have the use of, and the decisions made by the civil servants and scientists in the department of health and the medicines regulator. They will have a protocol for emergency approval, and this pandemic is considered enough of an emergency to justify using that process rather than the normal longer certification process.

I think it is telling that Johnson has not joined in the Brexiteer willy-wagging on this occasion, and that Dr June Raine at the MHRA has responded to Hancock (who is ultimately, I suppose, her boss) by saying, in effect, don't be silly. (The Guardian quoted her as saying, "We've been able to authorise supply of this vaccine under provisions under European law, which exist until 1 January." I have watched the whole of this press conference, so can confirm that quote (see 25:40); I have also heard her say, "No corners have been cut. The safety of the public will always come first, and this recommendation has only been given by the MHRA following the most rigorous assessment of every piece of data.")
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 03-12-2020 at 21:02. Reason: adding time of quote at 25:40 in press briefing
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    OK, I give up, you'll have to tell me. Which one is you?
    I'm out of shot somewhere on the right, however I do recognise some people I've seen in pubs in Bradford.