Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Lockdown 2

  1. #41

    Default

    It's an impossible task for any government and, as Tris C has pointed out, I'm not convinced that the most recent alternative - Mr Corbyn - would have done any better. Or Sir Keir Haircut or indeed any practising politician.

    Having said that, I'm frustrated and angry at how pubs are being treated given that the evidence seems to suggest that they are not spreading hot spots. Anecdotally, everywhere I've been has been well managed but then I don't tend to be a town centre goer on weekend nights.

    What I am surprised about is that this government, or indeed any government, has managed to nationalise personal responsibility and risk management.

    Selfishly I'm praying that we're in Tier 1 as I'm very much missing the pub. I would also far rather cancel Christmas and open pubs.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

  2. #42
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I don't tend to be a town centre goer on weekend nights.
    Where you get carry-ons like this

    One can only hope the one-hour drinking-up time tempers things somewhat

  3. #43
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Where you get carry-ons like this

    One can only hope the one-hour drinking-up time tempers things somewhat
    Ah you can't beat a good old tabloid moral panic, crowds are an entirely predictable consequence of this absolute shower's PPP response.

    Central Coventry may not go into T2 or 3 judging by the map and falling infection rate, looks like the revellers came from the outskirts or further away Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	2507
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

  4. #44
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I'm frustrated and angry at how pubs are being treated given that the evidence seems to suggest that they are not spreading hot spots. Anecdotally, everywhere I've been has been well managed but then I don't tend to be a town centre goer on weekend nights.
    I'm with you there. What they need to do is just open up the "old men pubs" - if they need a definition, they could just ask my younger daughter.


    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    What I am surprised about is that this government, or indeed any government, has managed to nationalise personal responsibility and risk management.
    Has it been nationalised? I thought it had been delegated to the general population.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Selfishly I'm praying that we're in Tier 1 as I'm very much missing the pub. I would also far rather cancel Christmas and open pubs.
    I'm afraid that we're in a minority on that one.
    Come On You Hatters!

  5. #45
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I would also far rather cancel Christmas and open pubs.
    Yes. Permanently.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Where you get carry-ons like this
    Before the pubs closed, I regularly counted 70+ gatherings outside my local, but the crowd was well behaved. Walking through Broadway Market the other night, which is usually packed in normal times, but the other night there was a large police presence and they were telling all the take-aways and offies that they wouldn't be allowed to sell alcohol after 9.30.

  6. #46
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    It's an impossible task for any government and, as Tris C has pointed out, I'm not convinced that the most recent alternative - Mr Corbyn - would have done any better. Or Sir Keir Haircut or indeed any practising politician.
    I was listening to the PM programme on Radio 4 the other week and they had correspondents calling in from various major European capitals who reported that the public seems to think that their governments are doing a poor job too. The problem is that with something new, there's no map to call on meaning that improvisation is usually the way ahead.
    In Scotland there seems to be a firm belief that the Och Yes Monster is doing a great job compared to England, but they fail to appreciate that Scotland has a tenth of the population and has a considerably lower population density; smaller populations produce fewer infections/deaths and a lower population density makes transmission harder.

    At least we aren't France!
    Last edited by Tris39; Yesterday at 18:47.

  7. #47
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    ...but they fail to appreciate that Scotland has a tenth of the population and has a considerably lower population density; smaller populations produce fewer infections/deaths and a lower population density makes transmission harder.
    Apart from the central belt and parts of the east coast which have population densities like England, these areas seem to be in a similar pickle to England, especially round Glasgow, for the reason you give.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    At least we aren't France!
    France is a different country, I went to a meeting in Paris where the room we had booked was occupied, our French colleagues chucked the interlopers out with treats of extreme violence and Gallic swearing, I wonder why Scotland and France have the "Auld Alliance"?
    Drink drink, whoever you may be,
    we are the drunk and disorderly,
    and we’ll drink more beer wherever we may be,
    and we’ll meet you all in a pub said he.

    Dr Busker

Similar Threads

  1. Final Lockdown Plague Puzzle Answers!
    By Tris39 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2020, 22:58
  2. Final Lockdown Plague Puzzle!
    By Tris39 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2020, 23:56
  3. Wee Beefy's Pub Blog - Libations during Lockdown
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2020, 18:26
  4. Lockdown authorities for the pubs
    By flatcap in forum Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-06-2020, 17:42
  5. Oh Good Ale - Lockdown beers
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-05-2020, 22:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •