Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (August)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Although only visiting a fraction of the pubs Soupy has managed my POTM was The Whitefriars Olde Ale House in Coventry.The thought of a pub crawl around Cov city centre didnt fill me with joy after my previous attempts in the 80's ,when The Specials "Ghost Town" was so true but with the passage of time I found some good pubs ,one outstanding .

www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52342/

My favourite this month was the Brunswick Inn, Derby - first time I've been there and could have happily stayed all day.

Mind you, there's plenty of other quality pubs in that town, as I discovered!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    My favourite this month was the Brunswick Inn, Derby - first time I've been there and could have happily stayed all day.
    Glad to see that the place is still bang on form. A top, top pub.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I'll be breaking my duck there next Wed; shame that I'll be restricted to a pint (one joker max, maybe) amongst whistle stop town crawl.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

It's been a very quiet month for new pubs, in fact any pubs at all apart from my usual favourites. However, I loved the Star Inn, St Just (Cornwall), on my recent hols: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/4942/

As a traditional pub hound, it was just my sort of place. Friendly staff and locals and excellent quality beer.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I'll be breaking my duck there next Wed; shame that I'll be restricted to a pint (one joker max, maybe) amongst whistle stop town crawl.
    Make sure it's a Reverand Mike's Ruby!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just to chuck my pub of the month into the thread before moving this thread out for the new one.

Ended up in The Three Tuns on Friday at Dave's suggestion.

Previously it had a very student reputation being next door to a college building, but it closed down about a year ago and reopened about 4 months ago and we haven't hazarded in due to old dislikes.

So anyway wondered in, good old fashioned bar wooden floors, and not too many tables, 6 real ales on tap, friendly staff and a criminally empty pub. As a quick warning we popped over at lunch to experiment with their 2 choices of rolls only to discover they have currently changed their opening times to 5 Monday to Thursday.

Our suspicion is that they are now placing their hopes on the imminent opening of a new Environment agency office across the road and I will update at that point as I suspect they will open lunches then and possibly up their food offering.

It is 2 minutes walk from the now closed Bag O'Nails, so should be a good replacement for people looking for Bristol venues. Would be interested to hear what our Bristol posters make of it?

Pub of the Month for me is the Cask Pub and Kitchen in Pimlico.

I know this place divided opinions over on the other site, but for me it is one of the top pubs in the capital and it's been interesting to see it develop over the last year or so.
    My previous visits had been either on mid-week evenings or early afternoons, so I'd never really seen much of a crowd in there, but this month I visited on a Friday night and the place was full. The previously lacking atmosphere was great, the bar-staff were very helpful and the beer was outstanding.
    I would certainly urge anyone who went in the early days and wrote the place off to give it another try as it seems to improve with every visit.

Pub of the Month for me was The Royal Oak at 44 Tabard Street. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24284/ where I managed too go for the first time in ages at the Beginning of the month excellent.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    J
    the now closed Bag O'Nails,
    No! Why?
    I find my report from late '09, not (yet) brought over. I was ver ver by then...

"A welcoming beacon on our dark, staggery, approach. Bath Festival Gold, Northumbrian Bucking Fastard, Facers North Star Porter, 2 reverse clipped (GWB Classic Gold, a.n.other), 14Nov. Straightforward one-room bar, mock fire to rear, big mirror, old pumpclips, ugly toby jugs above top bar shelf, nice window to street. I wrote down ‘great staff’, but can’t remember why. Pies & pasties in warm cabinet at bar, £1.50/£1.80, salvation!"