Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Fully Booked"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Not just a Covid thing. I've been in any number of pubs where all the tables have reserved signs on ready for the evening diners.
    The Junction Tavern has a dining room to the left and a rather nice bar to the right. But it still gets (at least last time I visited) 'reserved' signs in the bar which is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    That's outrageous.
    If only I could get a current pint for only £5...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I came across this Attachment 2488 yesterday here.
    ...and quite rightly now listed as closed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A local pub, of which I am quite fond, has now taken the step of introducing a minimum charge of £5 per person per 30 mins if you're inside. Not sure I'll be visiting again.
    If I'm not with the family, I can't remember the last time I've been in a pub for more than 15 minutes, or 7.5 if I've been drinking halves.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

TBH I've had a bit of humanity restored today after visiting The Brassmill and The Lock Keeper and due to bookings/no shows we were allowed to just have a drink at a table where people were due later or hadn't turned up after we arrived it's annoying as I don't know where I want to go and at what time I'll arrive as my visits are not based on taking granny out due to Covid where I would've had a plan of XYZ pubs being done today.

We'll see how things go but my ethos at present is avoid food based pubs on a Sunday and possibly plan to see if a booking is required especially after going to watch the football earlier in one of my locals and encountering pub table Tetris if you'd not reserved a table ~last world cup experience.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 04-10-2020 at 23:22.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Not just a Covid thing. I've been in any number of pubs where all the tables have reserved signs on ready for the evening diners. Unless they're completly up themselves (a common trait in the Cotswolds) they have no problem if you tell them you're only staying for one drink. That said, we tend to visit pubs mid-afteroon, and the early diners won't show up till 5:30 - 6pm.
    The excuse they use is that they have to wash the tables down every time someone moves on. A bit feeble as food based pubs should do that anyway as part of normal food hygiene.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    The excuse they use is that they have to wash the tables down every time someone moves on. A bit feeble as food based pubs should do that anyway as part of normal food hygiene.
    Someone should tell JDW.

We sit outside unless the weather is completely hostile and regularly come across ashtrays which haven't been emptied in days. Often in a disgusting state if they're the plant pot type and it's been raining. If they can't be bothered to empty the ashtrays, what else can't they be bothered to do?
    Last edited by NickDavies; 05-10-2020 at 11:02.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    They should be cleaning all tables anyway as part of a decent hospitality regime. It only takes a few seconds to give a table a quick spritz with a squirt of Mr Sheen.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    They should be cleaning all tables anyway as part of a decent hospitality regime. It only takes a few seconds to give a table a quick spritz with a squirt of Mr Sheen.
    Or the same squidged up bar towel that hasn't been rinsed out all morning, busily incubating the bugs from the hands of everyone who's used it.

To get 5* scores on the doors they're supposed to know all this stuff, but I often wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A local pub, of which I am quite fond, has now taken the step of introducing a minimum charge of £5 per person per 30 mins if you're inside. Not sure I'll be visiting again.
    That's a silly way of doing it. Much better is the Castle Tap in Reading where you book your table with a £10 deposit, which essentially sits behind the bar as a pre-paid tab and all you do is pay excess when you settle-up.

Far more sensible and fair.