Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

Default It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

I have read a lot of comments on here regarding visiting pubs in the "new normal" and it is obvious that there are many different opinions. Here is mine.

When the lockdown started I have to say I was a bit lost at first. Without going to the football or the pub my weekends were a bit strange to say the least. I had never heard of "Whatsapp video call" but I soon found myself chatting with mates I don't normally see anyway!

I also threw myself back into hobbies that I had slipped away from and as a result my "Smiths" collection has grown recently.

When the lockdown was lifted I waited a couple of weeks (apart from a few simple visits during a holiday) to do a decent crawl. I went on a session with my father and brother and thought it wasn't too bad. We had no problems and soon went on another session a couple of weeks later. We had to factor in that my dad is 81 so we played it quite safe in our local area.

I live in the Sandwell area which has local restrictions in place - I can't go round my dad's house but i can see him in the pub! At the moment I am doing neither. I just don't feel that going to the pub at the moment would be that enjoyable. I am a crawler and I can't say how long I will be in any pub, nor can I say how many drinks I will have!

There are other concerns - being the breadwinner (in fact the sole earner) in my household poses another question. I can't afford to get a text message telling me to self isolate for 2 weeks without pay because I have been in a pub where someone has had a positive result.

I have a desire to support my local pubs but I must look at the bigger picture.

There is no right or wrong - just my thoughts!

Del.

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

[QUOTE=Delboy20;111842]I have read a lot of comments on here regarding visiting pubs in the "new normal" and it is obvious that there are many different opinions. Here is mine.

When the lockdown started I have to say I was a bit lost at first. Without going to the football or the pub my weekends were a bit strange to say the least. I had never heard of "Whatsapp video call" but I soon found myself chatting with mates I don't normally see anyway!

I also threw myself back into hobbies that I had slipped away from and as a result my "Smiths" collection has grown recently.

When the lockdown was lifted I waited a couple of weeks (apart from a few simple visits during a holiday) to do a decent crawl. I went on a session with my father and brother and thought it wasn't too bad. We had no problems and soon went on another session a couple of weeks later. We had to factor in that my dad is 81 so we played it quite safe in our local area.

I live in the Sandwell area which has local restrictions in place - I can't go round my dad's house but i can see him in the pub! At the moment I am doing neither. I just don't feel that going to the pub at the moment would be that enjoyable. I am a crawler and I can't say how long I will be in any pub, nor can I say how many drinks I will have!

There are other concerns - being the breadwinner (in fact the sole earner) in my household poses another question. I can't afford to get a text message telling me to self isolate for 2 weeks without pay because I have been in a pub where someone has had a positive result.

I have a desire to support my local pubs but I must look at the bigger picture.

There is no right or wrong - just my thoughts!

Del.[/QU

As I only want to drink in pubs that have a new beer for me preferably cask I have a problem as pubs want to give you the third degree before you get in and then there is nothing I want to drink anyway Was outside a GK pub and took me 10 mins to download an app and before I did it I asked the guy do you have cask beer.When entering found only keg but when I said to the guy its not cask he said its all the same.I said FUCK YOU and walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    As I only want to drink in pubs that have a new beer for me preferably cask I have a problem as pubs want to give you the third degree before you get in and then there is nothing I want to drink anyway Was outside a GK pub and took me 10 mins to download an app and before I did it I asked the guy do you have cask beer.When entering found only keg but when I said to the guy its not cask he said its all the same.I said FUCK YOU and walked out.
    I see where you're coming from, John. I'm lucky in Sheffield that I have a choice of pubs that always have the same beers on (Fat Cat=Kelham Island Brewery, Old Grindstone=Stancill Brewery), pubs that have a varied cask beer selection (Wellington, Blake Hotel) and pubs with some innovative keg beers (Shakespeares, Crow Inn). So I can chop and change.

On the other hand, if I'm away I'm looking for either pubs I've been in before, that I know and like (Lake District: Britannia at Elterwater, Golden Rule in Ambleside, Brook House and Woolpack in Eskdale) - this can come unstuck if they can't get their usual beers, or only have "safe" beers like Loweswater Gold - or pubs that I've never been in at all, like (in Scotland last week) the Auld Cross Keys in Denholm or the Ken Bridge in Galloway, where I count myself lucky if there's any beer on at all (in Denholm I couldn't even get to the bar - it was table service in the dining room!). I had far more disappointments in my week away than I would normally expect, including not getting into a pub at all last Saturday.

I agree about it being a problem not being able to suss a pub out before doing all the data sharing and blood samples. And of course, that bit when they put you in handcuffs and chain you to the radiator so that you can't see the pump clips, that can be a real bummer. Still, like they say, it's either use it or lose it.
    Come On You Hatters!

I’ve been in pubs regularly since 4th July and there has been some inconvenience especially in the last few days with the new rules. After a rough start many places have settled into a new regime, the NHS App made entering pubs very easy just the mask wearing bummer to contend with. I have noticed a few places make you sign in as well as using the NHS App which is defeating the object. Table service is all well and good unless the staff are alert or you don’t want a refill or you need to pay. Card payments don’t bother me, coins are the dirtiest things in a pub and I include toilets in that. There’s definitely a cut back in choice in a lot of places but I was in two places in the Nottingham suburbs yesterday that had double figures of pumps on, luckily I had to walk past them so I was able to choose my drink, I don’t envy any bar staff trying to remember 10 or 12 different beers. In other places they have two or three but the staff aren’t sure about the type, brewer or strength of what’s on.

Being retired I don’t have to worry about an enforced lockdown but if I was working I would probably take a different view. I’m off to a more studenty area of Nottingham today so I do have some health concerns over risk.
    In these times we just have to take the rough with the smooth, as Will says it really is a case of use it or loose it.
    Last edited by oldboots; 27-09-2020 at 10:31.

The other major change in my pubbing has been the death of the half, especially on pub crawls. Given the faff and economic damage to pubs it seems churlish and rude to just have an half while taking up valuable space.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    but I was in two places in the Nottingham suburbs yesterday that had double figures of pumps on, luckily I had to walk past them .
    ... which pubs were they ob..?

Re the challenge of remembering the beers, perhaps for table service some innovative staff could present a (spare) set of the pumpclips on a portable board at the table, similar to the way specials or desserts are often presented in rural french restaurants..?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    ... which pubs were they ob..?
    Robin Hood & Little John, Arnold, Station Hotel, Hucknall. Both excellent, Lincoln Green Tuck may well be my BOTW.

The other major change in my pubbing has been the death of the half, especially on pub crawls. Given the faff and economic damage to pubs it seems churlish and rude to just have an half while taking up valuable space.
    Yeah, me too.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Re the challenge of remembering the beers, perhaps for table service some innovative staff could present a (spare) set of the pumpclips on a portable board at the table, similar to the way specials or desserts are often presented in rural french restaurants..?
    That's a very good idea. Helpful too for those obsessives among us who feel the need to take photos of the pump clip when having a drink in a pub. Very difficult to do through a perspex screen.
    Come On You Hatters!

Lincoln Green Tuck may well be my BOTW.
    Yes, it's a good one, isn't it.
    Come On You Hatters!