Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post

Re the challenge of remembering the beers, perhaps for table service some innovative staff could present a (spare) set of the pumpclips on a portable board at the table, similar to the way specials or desserts are often presented in rural french restaurants..?
    Just stick it all on laminated menus so that all the waiter has to remember is what the guests are. Pub I was in yesterday had this approach, down to crisp flavours; there were then chitties provided to write your name and phone number on, plus your order if you wish. A sort of manual verion of the apps some places want you to download.

Talking of apps, has anyone been in a Wetherspoons lately? I shudder at the thought of a standard issue JDW staffer explaining the beers then getting the order right for smartphone refuseniks, especially where both parties have English as a second language.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Talking of apps, has anyone been in a Wetherspoons lately? I shudder at the thought of a standard issue JDW staffer explaining the beers then getting the order right for smartphone refuseniks, especially where both parties have English as a second language.
    The beers listed on the Wetherspoon app seem to be updated in near-enough real time, and have always matched the clips in the various places visited since the 4th of July. Also (mostly) quicker than waiting for table service too, comparing the times taken to reach other suitably distanced nearby customers.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The other major change in my pubbing has been the death of the half, especially on pub crawls. Given the faff and economic damage to pubs it seems churlish and rude to just have an half while taking up valuable space.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yeah, me too.
    Yes. I feel a bit of a fraud, going in and taking up a table for six, just to have a half which is one reason why I've only been to the pub 11 times since 4th July.

The other problem some may encounter will be the universal adoption of the NHS COVID-19 app and dedicated NHS QR matrix - a lot of people are going to have to get a new smartphone so that it's compatible. I am [reliably] informed that I'm currently in an area where the risk is 'medium'.
    Last edited by Tris39; 27-09-2020 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    The other problem some may encounter will be the universal adoption of the NHS COVID-19 app and dedicated NHS QR matrix - a lot of people are going to have to get a new smartphone so that it's compatible.
    See here.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I see where you're coming from, John. I'm lucky in Sheffield that I have a choice of pubs that always have the same beers on (Fat Cat=Kelham Island Brewery, Old Grindstone=Stancill Brewery), pubs that have a varied cask beer selection (Wellington, Blake Hotel) and pubs with some innovative keg beers (Shakespeares, Crow Inn). So I can chop and change.

On the other hand, if I'm away I'm looking for either pubs I've been in before, that I know and like (Lake District: Britannia at Elterwater, Golden Rule in Ambleside, Brook House and Woolpack in Eskdale) - this can come unstuck if they can't get their usual beers, or only have "safe" beers like Loweswater Gold - or pubs that I've never been in at all, like (in Scotland last week) the Auld Cross Keys in Denholm or the Ken Bridge in Galloway, where I count myself lucky if there's any beer on at all (in Denholm I couldn't even get to the bar - it was table service in the dining room!). I had far more disappointments in my week away than I would normally expect, including not getting into a pub at all last Saturday.

I agree about it being a problem not being able to suss a pub out before doing all the data sharing and blood samples. And of course, that bit when they put you in handcuffs and chain you to the radiator so that you can't see the pump clips, that can be a real bummer. Still, like they say, it's either use it or lose it.
    The Greene King pub was in Scotland and Brewdog and Wetherspoons were a right trachle to get into as well.