Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Rules Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Plod were out at some London train stations yesterday evening barring entry off the train to those who had no 'good reason' to be there.

Seems like we're entering the VERE ARE YOUR PAPERZ??? stage of Diana style lunacy now.
    Not sure how they're entitled to do that, unless papers have been issued?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I heard an interview with the landlady of The Florist Arms a day or two ago on Radio 4, saying that she was struggling to cope with the lack of customers. I decided to go and 'support' it, but found that The Camel was more deserving.
    Both pubs are worthy of a visit.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Both pubs are worthy of a visit.
    Did the landlady of the Florist have the hump.Or was that the Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Did the landlady of the Florist have the hump.Or was that the Camel.
    One hump or two?
    -W.C.Fields

"said although they were aware of the government ruling on large households but said it could 'cause"
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-together.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Some places give the impression they don't want to survive Post Covid, see also our fun day out in York.

Now that Sheffield has joined the "merry" clan of Tier 3 that's another option gone for getting out of this Bozo designed crap.

I can see another trip to Harrogate coming on to help spread the lurgy around North Yorkshire.

Scarborough & Hull also have their names in the frame as we're only "advised" not to travel in search of a pint without a "substantial" meal.

One of the pubs just over the border in Lancs who went Tier 3 earlier than us are selling Chip Butties with or without gravy on the chips for £1.50.

They sold over 40 on Saturday!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Now that Sheffield has joined the "merry" clan of Tier 3 that's another option gone for getting out of this Bozo designed crap.

I can see another trip to Harrogate coming on to help spread the lurgy around North Yorkshire.

Scarborough & Hull also have their names in the frame as we're only "advised" not to travel in search of a pint without a "substantial" meal.

One of the pubs just over the border in Lancs who went Tier 3 earlier than us are selling Chip Butties with or without gravy on the chips for £1.50.

They sold over 40 on Saturday!
    Does the gravy option make them substantial?
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Regarding trains, I found we were able to buy our split tickets for Reading on Monday using bus pass to Coventry, off peak return there to Banbury, then another off peak return Banbury to Reading costing £38.70 for the 2 of us instead of nearly £80. Didn't think we could still split them so happy. Was trying to get to Darlington for Snooker Club festival but that has been cancelled. Cheapest fare I could find £133. Transferred our Prem Inn booking till next fest in May, but will go up for a day next month so keeping fingers crossed I can get splits fr there on the day too. Last visit £35 for the 2 of us with about 3 splits!

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Default Tier 3 regulations arrive in Sheffield

Sheffield enters Tier 3 at 00:01 tomorrow morning, so I went out for a few beers this afternoon, before things got crazy. First stop was the Crow Inn, but they had a very sparse selection - still able to get the American Solera barrel aged sour 10%, though not the Pohjala Pime Oo 13.9% that I've been dipping into on recent visits. So I kicked off my afternoon with a modest half of a beer that's been barrel aged on merlot grapes, making it quite a lot like a wine, with beerish hints. Anyway, I like it.

Next was going to be Shakespeare's, but they had almost nothing left, and certainly nothing that I wanted to drink, so I excused myself and went around the corner and across the road to the Kelham Island Tavern. I has barely finished signing in and taking my seat before two men came through the door, approached the bar and introduced themselves as being from the Daily Telegraph, asking if they could speak to the landlady. The youngish lad who runs the place with his wife (he's looked about 16 for the last 16 years) asked them to wait a bit, but please keep out of his way as he was serving his customers and was on his own, and they sat down at the nearest table and started talking to one of the customers.

I don't normally interfere with private conversations, but these were journalists, so I put my mask on and approached them, asking if they were housemates with the man they were talking to, and if not why were they sitting at his table, and by the way, had they remembered to scan the QR code on entering and, for fuck's sake, where were their masks? They were a bit disconcerted, and issued an all round apology, and I retired to my table. I spoke to the people around me (receiving general support), along the lines of one rule for us and another rule, apparently, for them, at which point both the photographer and the journalist approached me and said that they had apologised. Yes, I said, but you still haven't logged in or put your masks on. By this time they were blocking the route from the bar to the seats and were asked to get out of the way.

Eventually the licence holder appeared and had a slightly flustered interview, in which she said that they were unsure of what they were allowed to do under the new regulations, had had a dreadful year, including missing the expected enhanced takings associated with the Sheffield beer festival, and thought they might just be able to keep going until Christmas, and agreed to have her photo taken, after which the photographer left (by the wrong door) and logged out instead of logging in. People around me agreed that I had been quite right to challenge these interlopers, and when I apologised to the young(ish) lad who is the joint lessee for getting involved, he said they "needed telling".

I next went round the corner to the Fat Cat, where I saw the journalist interviewing the pub manager in the space outside the front door, while his photographer set up a shot. Inside, I discovered that they had walked straight into the pub just like they had done at the KIT, before being sent back out. I was still really angry, but managed to calm down a bit, helped by a very good pint of Kelham Island Best Bitter.

Next stop was the Wellington, where I had a couple of halves (Neepsend Ehecatl stout and a Harbour IPA) while being entertained by a couple who had clearly had a lot more to drink than I had. Final stop was the Blake Hotel, where I had a further pint of the Neepsend Rum Porter 5% that I had made a start on the night before.

It would have been an enjoyable crawl apart from the presence of the "gentlemen" of the press and the thought that I won't be back in any of these pubs for some time. (Actually, the Fat Cat does food, so it's staying open, but they don't know - despite asking - what the rules are for how much time people are allowed to stay and drink, and whether they actually have to eat the food).

Government by journalists. Don't you love it?
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 23-10-2020 at 19:26.
    Come On You Hatters!